Lindy clip gone viral

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Siggav, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Ok it's not viral in terms of having millions of views but it's hit 300k ish and the comments are full of people seeing lindy hop for the first time.

I have no idea where it got picked up and started being shared but it's still fun to see people enjoying some really excellent dancing

It's the invitational strictly from ilhc 2013

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thanks for sharing! Very nice to read the comments. I noticed it's some people's first time being exposed to that type of music.

I wonder what it takes, what sort of critical mass, for videos like this and the one of Myles Munroe/Tessa Cunningham to get mainstream viewing.

3. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Great energy! On a side note, I haven't seen too many ladies wearing pants/trousers for Lindy Hop, and I really liked the choice of Nikki (with Mikey at 6:25, 10:45) and Sharon (with Juan at 7:00, 10:52) to do so. How often do other ladies make that kind of costuming choice, either in competitions or other settings?

4. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Pants are the default for women in WCS. It might be more of an issue on video than in real life, but particularly when both partners are wearing black trousers/pants, the legs can blur into each other and/or a dark background!

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

May 29, 1943 Billboard –
    How So Cal is Different
    Coast Orks go ‘Billy
    Kahki and Overalled Oakies Make Metropolitan Maestri Feed ‘Em Down Home Tunes
    Oakie Soldiers Predomiate

Dance bands headed to Southern California will find themselves playing for vastly different dance audiences than those of New York, Chicago and other Eastern cities. Here it is a common sight for girls in slacks to jitterbug with men in suede jackets, collars open. The bookers, leaders and musicians call the new dance crowd Oakies.

Maybe this is why you don't see many "girls in slacks."

6. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting. Thanks for sharing the insight.

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Well, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of swing people aren't aware of the phenom that article points to. I have yet to find a jazz or swing book that acknowledges it. That is, unless the book is about Western Swing or "country" music.

8. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Takes me back to my youth...