Tango Argentino > Live music - not tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by oldtangoguy, May 17, 2017.

1. oldtangoguy

oldtangoguy Active Member

This is part of what prompted the original post. Although we enjoy dancing to golden age tangos, we almost prefer live (non-tango) because of the uncertainty. Blues, jazz, reggae, etc. all have well defined structures, or perhaps I know a version of the song. But, and especially with jazz, the details when played live can be quite surprising and can create a dynamic tension between myself and my partner, which I find lacking when we dance to one of the handful of GA tangos which are played repeatedly. And this is why I do NOT enjoy DJed "alternative" events. They have the downside of not being tango and the downside of being overly predictable. One or the other, ok. But I can only dance to "Over the Rainbow", or "Red Right Hand", or whatever else is currently popular in the alt scene, so many times before I just want to scream.

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Your notion of musicality is kind of mapping the music with motion (dynamic, voices, tempo, mood, orchestration, intensity...). But I think this does not define muzicality entirely. The dancer also has to invent something that is not set by the music.

3. oldtangoguy

Are you sure you know my notion of musicality? I am also a jazz drummer, and I try to dance tango a bit the way I play, which is to improvise within the form, but not to slavishly follow the form. If you listen to jazz drummers, you'll hear that, although they do keep time, they also do far more than that.

4. opendoor

Ouch, apparently got in hot water :nurse: To correct myself: I did not mean you. I was just referring to your post, and the lack of uncertainty and challenges. PEACE

5. oldtangoguy

No problem. At my age, with a mind like a steel sieve, I've already forgotten whatever it was that you wrote, so it's hard to take offense.

opendoor likes this.
  6. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

Almost all recorded tango music is easier to dance to and more consistent than live music. Not to mention that it's almost impossible these days to find a full tango orchestra that will stick to Golden Age music. Most like to improvise - often into extended solos and jazz ornamentation.

7. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

Two musicians does not constitute an orchestra, much less a tango orchestra.

8. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

Tango is inherently atavistic. I mean, if you want to dance to modern music, there's plenty to go around. As for its death, I think you're off the mark there. Tango is an international obsession.

opendoor likes this.
  9. opendoor

Of course I am, but the thing is, Jantango also is ;)

10. Oliver

Oliver Member

Is it? I mean, you could argue that at least on some level all music is. But you don't think tango ever was or is at all fresh or forward-thinking?

11. opendoor

It gets philosophically now Oliver because an atavism as such is defined by the modern context around it, isnt it?

12. Oliver

Oliver Member

Right, but the word "inherently" is in there. Is tango permanently, essentially, atavistic? Or is that just the (or one of the) modern context(s) around it now?

opendoor likes this.
  13. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

In New York City we have a few groups that play tango, one that recently formed is:

The Aces of Rhythm

The play in the spirit of the Juan D'Arienzo Orchestra

another is the Astoria Tango Club Orchestra

Maybe you can talk to your milonga organizers about bringing them to your area. More support would probably lead to more availability of good live tango music.

Each of their websites:

http://www.acesofrhythm.com/home/

http://www.astoriatangoorchestra.com/

dchester likes this.
  14. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

p.s. Yes, that is the milonguero "El Flaco Dani" Daniel Garcia among the dancers. He can be seen clearly for about the 1st 40 seconds of the vid.