Tango Argentino > Master private class?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Huiyu, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

Is it normal that the hour price for 1 teacher is the same for 1 couple teachers? And no discount for package?

2. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

Are you talking about a class for two students, or one student with two teachers?
    In general, some teachers charge more for an hour with two students than with one. I recommend to avoid such; one hour of work is one hour...

3. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

Sorry I didn't say it clearly. I mean 1 teacher or 2 teachers and 1 student for the same price.

4. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

I a capitalistic world, teachers have their freedoms to decide on how to conduct their business. In our community we have a husband/wife team who teaches and performs. They charge the same whether it's one of them or both.

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  5. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

I agree. This is their freedom. I just feel weird. Because it is actually not good for the teachers. They both need to invest 1 hour but get less paid. And for students it is also not attractive.

6. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

You do not take into consideration other factors. For example, with two instructors present each one of them may work less, depending on how they organize the lesson. Or, one of the instructors may be in fact a private student of another instructor who works for free or even pays him/her to participate in the lesson as a trainee, etc etc.

And why is it "not attractive" for the student? He or she gets more attention, from the instructors of both roles, a possibility to try and be seen from the outside in a coupe, and many other advantages.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  7. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

Well I agree and disagree. Because I said it is master private class. Both teachers are already famous and in the level even higher than Noelia y Carlitos. Of course each of them has less work, but they both need to be there for the whole time. For masters like that time is more important, right?

"Not attractive" maybe is not a right word. For example I just wanna focus on basic follower technique like walking, pivot etc. It is not like I pay 1 teacher and get 2. It is actually I have to pay 2 teachers even I just want to get 1. And no discount for package. I would probably just take 1 class to see if it really works way better than with only 1 teacher. Otherwise I prefer to go to other master class because for the same money I can learn longer.

8. Lilly_of_the_valley

Methinks if one wishes to take lessons from someone he or she should put some trust in the instructor(s) regarding their ways of working with students and organizing lessons.
    Also, if it is a visiting couple often they invested into the trip, got there, are being there, and have to make money. Why would they cut down on their work and lose money? It is not always possible to book another private lesson with a different student for one of them at the same time another part of the couple is working with you. Giving a discount in such situation does not make sense for them financially.

itwillhappen likes this.
  9. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

There is no rule really. The price can also be the same for one pupil and two (leader and follower) pupils. Even if you hire only one teacher, it's unlikely that during the same hour his partner will be giving another private to another pupil in a different room. If one teacher is hired, the time of the un-hired teacher is also wasted, lost.

10. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

By no way - we all have only this single life!

I prefer a single teacher - he is able to take it out of me and my partner in a private lesson. But I understand it if a teacher couple wants to teach together only, even more when travelling.

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Huiyu, which couple do you plan to take privates of, Ariadna and Fernando?
    Some years ago when I used to take privates I have experienced much the same. It was nearly impossible to rent one part alone. Perhaps there is kind of a business philosophy that nothing should come between them. In the end a traveling couple is a brand, and either of them always watches suspiciously the otherĀ“s activities.

12. Lilly_of_the_valley

In any case, we may know for sure the best way to teach us tango, and the best way for the instructors to conduct their business, but -- newsflash: the said instructors may have their own, quite different from ours, point of view on either count, or both. :)

itwillhappen and Mladenac like this.
  13. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

Some dancers teach privates as a couple. The charge is the same.

14. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

If you want basic technique, why do you need them at all? Why not take a workshop with someone you respect?

15. larrynla

larrynla Member

It seems to me you are projecting your own likes and dislikes onto others. I have absolutely no problem with this practice.

Mladenac likes this.
  16. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

Not projecting anything. I have absolutely no practice with it either, simply stating an alternative if what you want is basic technique. If the person only wants private lessons, that's their prerogative.

17. itwillhappen

Everyone is free to learn basic stuff in a private class of world class masters - if he can afford that! But maybe these do not like to foster that with a discount on a package?

18. Lilly_of_the_valley

I guess it all boils down to this. People like themselves a discount, and some try to get it for any imaginable reason... But dance lessons are not exactly like a garage sale or a flea market. :)

19. itwillhappen

I really do not like to get tought by someone who does not like to chat with me. So what I expect of a private class package is some kind of a "mentoring upgrade".
    We arrive the evening before and attend the teachers milonga so that he can take a look on how we dance. Next morning do we like to savor a coffee before the lesson, have a break after the first hour and some finalizing talk after the second hour.
    At the baseline are three hours gone, the two hours on the dance floor get payed - and we all enjoy these sessions.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  20. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Do any teachers ever do this? Sounds like you are looking for a friend, not a teacher..."For xxx I appraise you at an event one day, spend time on coffee and conversation next day, spend time on a break, and then a finalizing talk? I know of no teachers who see lessons this way. Every teacher i have known who is in demand schedules lessons to start and end. I would teach you like this but the 'clock' would be running. "Coffee and conversation" is fun for you, but for me it is work.

Lilly_of_the_valley and Mladenac like this.