Tango Argentino > Master private class?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Huiyu, Aug 16, 2017.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Of course that might be very useful and the effect in the end longer lasting than an isolated private in the master class. But it´s another category, anyway. At least a student has an instructor, a guru, and some changing input from outside. Your example addresses the second, Huiyu´s the latter function.

2. oldtangoguy

oldtangoguy Active Member

In my experience, basic technique is not well taught in workshops. My wife and I had been dancing for several years, taking workshops/classes the entire time, but it wasn't until we took privates that I really learned how to walk. Seven consecutive days, one hour per day, of nothing except pooosh and peevot with accompanying critique. It has made all the difference in my dance.

3. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

We had a couple of students who wanted a similar format. In that case the full time was paid, not "two hours out of three", also travels to and from the place, and consummation was on them-- coffee, lunch, etc.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Mladenac likes this.
  4. Lilly_of_the_valley

It is totally great to work on basics in a private lesson. Actually, I hardly work on anything else in my privates.
    However, one does not get a discount price on that ground.

itwillhappen and Bailamosdance like this.
  5. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

If I travel and stay the night, then I like to take 2 hours per day - and I can't stay that without a break between them. Not every teacher likes to schedule that way, but that's what got negotiated in advance.
    I fully comprehend that "coffee and conversation" may be work for some teachers. I've prefer to choose others for lessons in social Tango.

6. Lilly_of_the_valley

One would see that more in Buenos Aires, when teachers and students go to a cafe to socialize and chat after the class. In a Western world, where everyone and everything is on a schedule, not so much.
    I have seen students trying to organize that for themselves, inviting their teacher to lunches and dinners, outings, staying after classes/milongas under different pretext to chat, asking for and giving rides or other favors, etc etc. If an instructor cannot set clear boundaries in such situations it often ends up in a conflict between those initiative students and other students, and eventually between those students and the teacher.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. itwillhappen

I think those efforts are mainly targeted towards getting a position of favoured students, lesser to learn tango.
    We've no ambition to climb up in that local tango hierarchy, simply because we'll leave the town and at the earliest get back a month later.

8. Lilly_of_the_valley

If you suggest that to those people they would be offended. In their mind that is the best way for them to learn, to support their teacher, and tango in general. :)
    Perhaps, during your visits your instructors manage to balance the books so their other students and obligations are not neglected. But I hope you could see my point on how being able to friendly socialize with an instructor off the floor whenever cannot be a main priority for every dance student.

9. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

I don't see in this way. And I don't think people should think in this way: making a discount means this product/service is not good. For me it is just mutual understanding.

10. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

I agree that we as students should put some trust on that. But no matter how well they can organize class, still it depends on students' needs. Your example of a visiting couple explains the financial reason to teach as a couple, but not about class itself. For me I also understand this in this way: teaching as a couple can ensure the earning. But then I can't really trust the teachers that much in terms of the teaching quality.

And actually for a visiting couple, I also quite often see that there is a price for 1 teacher and another price for 2 teachers, and for 1 student and 2 students it charges also differently. It might be a bit risky for not famous couples, but for world masters I think it is actually more beneficial.

11. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

For me a normal class is to learn some steps. A workshop is to learn more about technique knowledge. A private class is to focus on personal problem.

12. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

No. The couple lives in Amsterdam now. And actually I need to travel there to take private class. The communication so far we had on Facebook made me uncomfortable. The female teacher is really awesome, as a dancer, but my friend and I decided not to go there in the end. My friend almost only took private class in BA. She had Gutty and Natalia before, for women technique. If she needs to learn about the connection, she will go to find a male teacher for private class. For me I also feel the same way. I barely need a couple to teach me. Natalia offered her like 6 classes 500 dollar. And this couple in Amsterdam charges 180 dollar for one class. And plus the flight ticket and hotel we need to pay. Then I would say better to wait when they visit my city and take workshop and save the money to BA.

opendoor likes this.
  13. Lilly_of_the_valley

I did not suggest that. I meant with dance lesson one cannot always bargain down the way it is done in the market, ask to cut a smaller part from a big piece , etc etc.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  14. Lilly_of_the_valley

If you believe the desire to earn money contradicts the quality of teaching there certainly are a lot of semi professional and non professional tango instructors who do not depend on teaching for making their living. That couple in question is just not one of them.
    It does not necessarily mean their teaching is lower quality for that.

Mladenac likes this.
  15. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

Correct. You cannot bargain. But asking about package price and bargaining are two different things, for me. Once I know there is no package price, I can only accept or leave. I won't bargain anymore. But for me personally it doesn't sound like a good business concept.

16. Lilly_of_the_valley

When you are a full time tango teacher come back and talk some more about your business concept. Till then... :rolleyes:
    ;)

17. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Same as the cosmetics industry. The fabrication cost of a product is 0,02 cent but if the price in the shops is not 200$ then nobody will buy it because they'll think the product is not good.

18. itwillhappen

When they are in your city some day - then you could test in a workshop that they are well suited teachers for you and take one or two classes...

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.