Member Introductions -- Index

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, May 15, 2004.

1. Sweetboots

Sweetboots New Member

New here- did not learn anything about dancing until late in life, but enjoy it immensely- such a great way to exercise! That being said, am looking for input on what is considered to be acceptable social dance behavior for couples vs what I think is acceptable. Have read all the links I could find through searches - maybe I'm being old fashioned?

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Welcome! There are a lot of us here who first danced as adults, so you definitely aren't alone.

What exactly do you mean by "acceptable social behavior for couples"? If you are talking about dancing with different partners, it's pretty much a given at the venues I've danced at. Of course, if a couple wishes to not dance with anyone else, that is their prerogative. But if they do dance with others, no one will think any worse of them. A big part of social dancing is dancing with different partners.

3. Sweetboots

Sweetboots New Member

Dancing with others does at times allow me to learn new steps, which I love - I'm not saying " NO dancing with others, you're here with ME" kind of thing. It's the anything goes because it's "just dancing" approach that counts me out. There is nothing available as guidelines that either support or refute my perspective. You can read that in a social dance setting, one should not dance with another more than 2 consecutive dances before going on to the next person. I think if you're with your SO, twice is enough with that one other person for the evening, period, if not in a teaching setting. Spread the wealth! That's just my version of logic-

4. nessundorma

nessundorma New Member

Hello, DF'ers!

A ginormous thank you to everyone contributing to this site. Your posts have provided so much context, perspective, information and food for thought. I have been dancing for about three years now in a tiny, mainly social, dance community. Sometimes it feels like a struggle to cobble together enough instruction, but your posts have provided a valuable adjunct to that instruction and, more importantly, a wonderful perspective on all those little doubts and worries that can so easily undermine a beginner. My humble thanks to all of you, and especially the moderators, who have made this site a daily read for well over a year now. Hugs from this nearly anonymous reader.

As for me, I'm a social dancer, still a newbie, who loves her little community, loves to learn and loves the athleticism, precision, artistry, creativity, focus, etc. of dance. Or maybe I should just say I love dance itself!

Happy dancing to all of you!!

KPomPom, cornutt, RiseNFall and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Welcome!!!!!!!

nessundorma likes this.
  6. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Welcome to the DF. Completely unimportant, but Nessun Dorma is one of my top 2 fav arias of all. Enjoy.