Tango Argentino > Miles apart embrace

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by JTh, Jul 9, 2017.

1. JTh

JTh Member

Yes we have those classes as well.. But she never attends. Maybe why leads and followers are generally very comfortable with eachother (high level of trust established).
    We too have numerous types of social events and classes where people get to know oneanother. She just does not attend any of these.

2. My philosophy in dancing and well as in general is to take the path of least resistance: in a scenario like this, rather than trying to figure out, influence, convince etc. I choose to dance with other followers where I communicate better and have more fun dancing with. When it's not an issue of values and principals, why waist precious life energy?

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Any progress is good. I hope she gets there.

[​IMG]

4. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

We cannot do work for another people. If she is informed about events and still doesn't attend it is her issue.
    As I notice that she is making some progress. Tango reveals a lot of issues we are not aware of.

5. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

Even in an intro AT class, a good teacher will introduce the abrazo and how it should be approached fairly early on in the class. Obviously, students respond differently to this depending on their background and the makeup of the class, but it's a key element. I don't have any specific recommendations for you. If you're both in the same class and that's what she wants, there's not much you can do about it. Lead her in an open "student" embrace for the class exercises. At some point she may come around to accept the closeness or turn to nuevo.

6. JTh

JTh Member

Yes. The teachers do demonstrate both the open and close embrace many times. Different people react to it differently.

7. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

You can go to jail for improperly touching a woman, 10 years or so.
    There are dancers who say at once, "I prefer open embrace." They usually disappear quickly - why would you try to do anything about their embrace if they will quit dancing soon anyway?

8. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was referring to a teaching situation, as you can read from my earlier reply. Be that as it may, it strikes me as odd that someone would take a class in partner dancing, tango no less, who does not want to be touched.

9. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

The question wasn't about teaching. A teacher doesn't care about embraces in a group class. He can care when it's a private lesson.

A leader asked what to do when a lady keeps herself one foot away.
    A couple dancing salsa keeps a distance. It's a partner dance too.

I've seen situations when ladies shrieked in classes. The teachers tried to calm them down, "It was an accident. Sometimes a partner can inadvertently touch your breasts."

10. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

The teacher had better care about the abrazo, since it's the core element of tango. And any teacher who failed to explain it would be remiss. It's not for a private lesson.

Salsa can be danced close, too, there is no requisite distance.

As for your shrieking, I can't comment since no one in any class I've taken has ever shrieked.

11. JTh

JTh Member

Maybe a bit odd..but I think she has some intimacy issues.. And she is using tango to get over that.
    I've heard people who have had psychological mishaps in the past that has turned them off closeness, and use partner dancing as a rehabilitation tool.
    She is making progress. At the beginning of class she was way way apart...now at least she is ok with a very open embrace...an embrace nonetheless... I and other leads can work with that.
    I do not expect all followers to allow me, or any lead, to get into a close embrace - by far the majority do however :).. Vice versa as well..leads don't always want to tightly embrace all followers...only the young, pretty ones :)))))

12. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

Do realize, she might want to be touched -- there is a good chance this is true as she is in a Tango class, of all things. She could be lonely and is doing something about it. Conquering this could also be a step to a greater goal -- maybe she has never had a boyfriend due to the hug aversion. It could be she realized her hug aversion was holding her back in life.

It's something huggers of the world don't understand (thankfully!). Sadly, a primordial fear of being hugged can be programmed at a young age, even with a single event. Often it happens early enough the person doesn't remember what or why, they just know they don't like hugs. It can be a level of fear comparable to being held under water. Avoiding hugs can be a strategy, but many paradoxically want hugs, or want to let their loved ones enjoy hugging them.

Kudos to her for working on this, and kudos to the men patiently working with her! (BTW, you can't hug a nonhugger long enough or squeeze tight enough to "cure" them! Short and less close interactions work better!)

As I have said many times, I owe the ladies in my area big thanks. They have been very good about respecting my space, but also giving some little nudges and positive feedback. My Tango-as-hug-aversion therapy thread is here: http://www.dance-forums.com/threads/not-touchy-feely.45840/

13. SoAndSo

SoAndSo New Member

With some of the people in this thread, I really have doubts, if they know what a real intimate connection - not just a physical interest or a technical adjustment - is.
    (They remind me of the Bachata teacher who - in different words - told the underage beauty "you have to rub your titties on the men, or you are wrong" while every half brained monkey knew that he meant "I want you to admire and hump me!")

I know through my background some people with contact aversion exactly as you describe. Half of them I know of to be autistic. They LOVE to be hugged - if it is done with real, mental intimacy. But most have been traumatized in their childhood, which leads to the believe, that they don't like hugs. (There even is a so called therapy, which mainly is forcing physical contact unto them, until they pretend to like it, to make the therapist stop. The victims relate this to curing a lesbian by raping her!)
    Some of these autistics belong to the most sensitive and caring dancers I know. And they are about the best to play the game of closeness and distance which I am sure, belongs to the skill set of a good tanguero too. (I can do that game within the close hold of a Bachata with ease.)
    Why so?
    Because "it is done like that!" or "you have to like hugging people!" etc never worked for them. So they had to learn to establish intimacy in their dance. Something many normal people never learned. People who allowed them to do so are lining up for them!

So keep on working JTh. May be in a year, she is a dream to be close to. And remember, it's not only about fixing her, it's about improving yourself too!

14. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Not true for me. My preference is close embrace with all.

rain_dog and Reuven Thetanguero like this.
  15. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

That's not the way I learned and it's not what I experience. Men (even fairly young, in their 20s) will dance with and tightly embrace older women. Some men just dance some flavor of nuevo and never embrace anyone, even the "young, pretty ones." I am of the traditionalist school, in which the dance centers on the abrazo.

Reuven Thetanguero likes this.
  16. JTh

JTh Member

I'm joking here hence the smiley face...
    We leads do dance with the older followers, and find that most of them are actually very experienced - eg dancing for 15 years..
    I've actually learnt quite a bit from them..stuff that hasn't been pointed out by instructors because they have many students to teach.