Dancers Anonymous > Mistaken Identity

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist this. Someone here thought I was a guy :shock: :lol: It is funny because this is not the first time it has happened, different forum, different name even :lol: but still, the other person initially thought I was a guy and when they realised that I am a female, they thought I was a cucumber short of a sandwich :lol: (otherwise known as a sandwich short of a picnic :lol: )

Has this ever happened to you? :D

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

A few times I can remember. LOL.
    In DF, it makes sense, because the character whose name I've adopted was a man -- a sculptor. I just couldn't stand the idea of being Galatea -- his block of marble that came to life as a woman. Blech! Too disempowered for me. LOL.

And, in my "real" life, when I first started working, I was one of the few female engineers in my department. The protocol was to use your initials in the author field of technical papers, but no title. I used to get fairly frequent calls from people who assumed that I was the secretary, and that a Mr. So and so was the author, not me. What a laugh!

3. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and then there's the twin thing. There are people who've known me from infancy who still call me Jessica, my twin sister's name. For some unknown reason, they have no idea who I am. Never mind that Jessica is 3.5 inches (8cm) taller than I, looks and acts totally differently than I do, and lives five states away! :shock:

4. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Unfortunately, All the time. For reasons unknown. :roll: One person (from another forum) had the nerve to say to me, "I'm gonna do my very best to figure you out". :shock: I think your this way or that because you say this...... :roll: I'm sorry, what does that have to do with Salsa? Often times before I even open my mouth to speak or "write" anything, people mistake me for being a certain way. Gets frustrating sometimes but that's life. :D

5. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Still, one of the nice things about the Internet is that you can create an identity for yourself that's independent of the prejudices of actual life--people exist in the purity of their minds, or souls, who they are, rather than the corporal facts of age, sex, ethnicity. That makes it possible to make friends with people you might not otherwise make friends with.

I think when people write a lot, after a while you begin to get a pretty good sense of who they are--I wouldn't say I've gotten there with anyone on DF yet, but little by little I'm starting to attune to nuances of personality. When someone tells me they get an impression of me by what I write, I always listen pretty carefully, because it's an opportunity to see directly the way my words have been interpreted by a particular reader.

So for me the anonymity of the Forums allows me the freedom to reveal myself over the long term.

Cheers,

Genesius

6. Christina75

Christina75 New Member

:| I'm constantly being mistaken for Britney Spears. :roll:

Christina
    P.S. I got a bridge for sale that I think you might be interested in :wink:

7. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Not by me! You're much funnier, and therefore--therefore, I repeat, way sexier! :wink:

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And the picture? Is it ever coming?

9. pygmalion

Umm. No! :kissme: :lol:

10. johnnywalker

johnnywalker New Member

I usually get mistaken for a fool.....oh wait, they weren't mistaken.

11. Christina75

Christina75 New Member

:oops: awwww! shucks! :D
    :kissme:

12. tj

tj New Member

Lol! I thought Youngsta was someone else...

(And I think I know who you are - at least under a different pseudonym)

13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: rotfl What took you so loooonnnggg!!! lol Welcome to DF! :banana: :lol: I was starting to think that I would have had to send out a search party for you :lol:

PS. What gave me away :wink: :lol: No wait! Tell me in a PM :lol:

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No, no, no!!!

This sounds interesting/fun! I want to "hear" too! :pout:

15. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:roll: :roll: :roll: Why? Would "enquiring minds" like to find out also :twisted: :wink:

16. SDsalsaguy

Yesssssssssssssss!

And, FYI, "enquiring minds" always want to know! :wink:

17. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: :bandit: my lips are sealed. I don't do "kiss & tells" right tj :wink:

18. SDsalsaguy

So there was kissing involved... hmmm, good to know!

19. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: No there was not and "you know that I know that you know" :lol:

20. SDsalsaguy

:kissme: ...so there!

(See? I told you there was kissing involved! :wink:)