General Dance Discussion > Mixing Marijuana With Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Generalist, Jan 5, 2015.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

One thing I don't tolerate is someone being drunk in my classes, and then acting stupid. I probably wouldn't notice as much if someone were high. I recall a couple of occasions where you could smell alcohol on their breath, and then they were obviously flirting with ladies. Totally uncool, and difficult thing is if you tell them to leave, they might get behind the wheel. Someone that is drunk is far less manageable than someone that is high.

Thread Disclaimer: Marijuana remains illegal under federal law. Dance Forums does not condone the illegal possession or use of marijuana. All content in this thread is for entertainment purposes only.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

My close association with an entire police department yields the same understanding.

Thread Disclaimer: Marijuana remains illegal under federal law. Dance Forums does not condone the illegal possession or use of marijuana. All content in this thread is for entertainment purposes only.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  3. Larinda McRaven

On your larger note, yes, when state and federal laws conflict, obviously the federal law supersedes. But, assuming that each and every state legal marijuana business is able to keep all business in-state and avoid all federal interactions... no banks, no federal land, no federal water supply, no federal tax deductions ... then technically ... it IS legal. Regardless your point has been noted. And an appropriate disclaimer will be added to the beginning of this thread and each post made by a moderator on behalf of DF.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    Lioness likes this.
  4. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

I would prefer if this thread didn't delve into the legality of marijuana because that is a debate that is outside my OP -- and it's been endlessly debated elsewhere.

What I am interested in is how pot affects dancing.

It may be on topic to discuss how dance organizations address the marijuana issue. Surely competitors somewhere have experimented with it.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  5. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

6. Larinda McRaven

Judging by the people in the video I am going to assume their sober dancing isn't much better.
    Although the LSD video looked very similar to stuff we were doing on stage for my Theater and Stage Performance Bachelors.

TwoRightFeet and RiseNFall like this.
  7. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Uh... so why exactly would you think to test it at all? Like, do you also intend test to see if drinking alcohol makes your dancing better? Taking aspirin? Antacids? Narcotics? Adderall?

This just reeks of "marijuana the magic cure-all!"

(I have no problem with marijuana and think it should be legal, but snake oil drives me up a wall.)

IndyLady likes this.
  8. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I've had nothing but good experiences with snake oil, let's not slander please.

dbk likes this.
  9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

As I'm reading this thread, I keep thinking,"please don't anybody ask me to dance while they are high." I really like nice, clear leads.

10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Did you know that Bill Haley actually worked with a guy that sold snake oil at one point early in his career?

11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

See? Another satisfied customer!

12. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Well...

" Bill... drank too much of it and got too sick to perform. The "good doctor" dumped Bill along the road somewhere in western Ohio. Bewildered and ill from the elixir of molasses, sulfur, gin and other secret ingredients, Bill hopped a freight train and rode on the dangerous undercarriage to Fort Wayne, Indiana."
    from Bill Haley by Otto Fuchs

I coulda told Bill that he should have found an empty box car. It's much safer that way.

BTW If you want retro, 1946, music, cars, diners, etc the same year this happened to Haley, take a look at Agent Carter.

leee likes this.
  13. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Well, I live in a state where it is now legal - though not for my Federal job, mind you. Marijuana is treated like alcohol when it comes to driving, at least, and the results are generally the same when it comes to the ability to drive under the influence - pot impacts your judgment, reaction time, spatial awareness, etc. Having danced on occasion with pros after they recently imbibed, I don't recommend it either as the smoker or the poor partner who is stuck with the smoker as a partner - leads and movements are slow and sloppy, though THEY think everything is wonderful. It's rather like dancing with someone who is drunk and about as much fun.

I don't mix alcohol and dancing - even social dancing - either. The one time I tried - at a Friday party, mind you, and it wasn't even a whole drink - my teacher gave me that priceless expression that we students all know so well and told me "no more mojitos for you." Apparently, what little coordination I do have goes right out the window.

14. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I can't stand it when drunks come to class. Most of the time, stoners and ballroom don't mix anyway, and I'm kind of glad. Having to deal with dopers and drunks? Ugh- ulcers.

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Pot helps music because it spurs creativity. Not because it helps your technique. I would assume the same would be true for dancing. Helps creativity, not technique. So when you're in a class learning technique, it's not surprising it didn't help.

IndyLady likes this.
  16. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

I did it in the interest of science. My testing should be considered as a public service.

As for the other drugs you suggested, I may in the future (in the interest of science) open up threads on aspirin, adderall, etc.

17. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

If you really want your dancing to improve, you just have to do it a lot (take your lessons, practice, go to parties, etc). No substance is going to substitute for that.

SwayWithMe and Hedwaite like this.
  18. Larinda McRaven

I agree there in no substitute. I do believe that pot can add a layer of creativity not normally found.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  19. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Right, and I think we all agree that if the dancing gets more creative but the underlying quality was cruddy to begin with, no one will notice the creativity.

IndyLady likes this.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SwayWithMe, Sania, leee and 5 others like this.