Ballroom Dance > Nasty feet/shoe smell. How to deal?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Aug 1, 2006.

1. tuxedosam

tuxedosam New Member

Dancing makes the feet sweat and smell, and worse still, the smell often stays with the shoes. How to make the smell go away or at least reduce it? Any recommendations?

2. Gumby

Gumby New Member

Don't seal up sweaty shoes in your dance bag - let them air dry with a little baking soda sprinkled inside.

3. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

I always spray Degree aerosol in mine. It might "cloud it up", but I can wipe it off if they're leather.

4. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

you can buy sprays for removing/suppressing shoe odor. another options is to rotate between two shoes, and leave the 'unused' shoe in the open. that way, each of the shoes will accumulate the stinkiness at a far slower rate ;)

5. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

Our coaches use cedar shoe trees. We meticulously dry our shoes, and use a sheet of Bounce to spruce the scent up. Also, you can prep your feet with powders etc. to reduce smelling :).

6. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

My wife has that problem. I put her shoes on the air purifier in our basement for a day, right after we get home from dancing. That seems to work pretty good.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lots of past threads on this...my solution is gross but works...i make a paste out of comet and bursh it inot the inside then let it dry in the sun and brush the residue out with my shoe brush...and I alternate my shoes alot

8. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I just leave them on the balcony at night so that they get some fresh air. Works okay.

T_E

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Socks.

10. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Have you tried wearing a latin sandal with socks? It's very slippery. I can't even wear stockings!

T_E

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Who said they were sandals?

12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hmmm...seems like stockings are slippery-er than socks.

There's a girl/intern/teacher-in-training at "my" AT studio--she's always wearing socks with her latin sandals. I have yet to figure out why...or to ask.

13. Peaches

Do you do this with leather shoes? Does it ruin the leather?

It sounds like a great idea, but I'd hate to damage my good shoes, especially since I can't really get a replacement pair.

OTOH, sweat and whatnot is kind of damaging anyway...

14. fascination

just to the inside of the shoe...and they seem fine...because it is a mostly dry concoction and I brush it out

15. Peaches

Does it bleach the fabric/leather that it touches?

16. fascination

again it is only the inside of the shoe so I dont care...but no...

17. fascination

also, by the time that I am at that point with a shoe, it is a well loved practice shoe

18. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I put on clean socks before donning my shoes. They get transported in a light cloth bag which can breathe (no plastic bags). Once home, the shoes get set in front of a small fan for an hour or so to dry them out. Works well.

19. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think this one needs to go into a sticky about shoes. Can we do this?

20. noobster

noobster Member

I spritz mine with Febreze deodorant spray whenever they approach ripeness. It's been working fine. Supposedly the deodorizing ingredient is a modified starch with a trace of zinc chloride. Doesn't seem too toxic and it hasn't done any damage to the shoes either.