Ballroom Dance > Nasty feet/shoe smell. How to deal?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

That's for bad showcases. You need their stuff for shoes.

Warren J. Dew and Sania like this.
  2. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

What I started doing - so I don't yet know if it will work well - is take flat round cotton pads and spray them with Odor Eaters - I then place those inside the shoe and press them down into the shoe for a couple of seconds. Then I ball up a paper towel and place that on top to hold the pad in place/against the shoe. I replace the cotton pads every time I wear the shoes. We'll see how it works.

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Anybody ever try car deodorizers? Y'know those little hanging things in stupid shapes? I'm thinking if they can get the Burger King / whatever stench out of a car, they might work for dance shoes?

4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I have not read the entire thread, but I use foot powder in my shoes. I apply it right before I put them on, though not necessarily every single time. I have not noticed any smell issues since I started doing this a few years ago. Also agree with not wearing the same pair of shoes twice in a row, try to give them a breather.

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Right, christmas tree or new car smell mixed with sweaty feet!

Seriously though, those aren't deodorizers. They don't removes smell they just over power it with an different chemical laden smell. I am not up for sprays or chemicals. I just put my shoes in the sun and bake them. Sunlight destroys odor particles. No bad foot smell and no pina colado smell either.

For the most part my shoes don't really smell bad, because I change them constantly through out the day teaching. Always wear fresh socks, often white under the black. And NEVER put shoes away dirty and sweaty, I aways let them dry thoroughly before stuffing them into an black airless shoe bag.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Activated carbon.

7. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I have found a scent less dryer sheet stuffed in each shoe (mens) to be very helpful in reducing the smell (my guess is it absorbs odor particles or dehydrates the area, killing some percentage of the microbes). I've also at times resorted to vinegar as a way to kill odor particles (I eyeball it, but use a 50/50 solution with water to clean my shoes insides occasionally). Obviously they smell like salad dressing for a bit, but then the sweaty foot smell is massively reduced.

ocean-daughter likes this.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

like Larinda, I tend to stilc with extreme temps to kill the smell....but you do have to have enough shoes to do that so that you can leave the shoe out long enough

9. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I keep a Febreeze car freshener in my shoe bag. Eliminates the nasty smell, although it does replace it with the air freshener smell.

10. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I still maintain not putting shoes in a shoebag and never wearing more than one day in a row is the best plan. But for those wanting something more: I not too long ago got a berrybreeze for my refrigerator and it's pretty amazing. I can now put leftover pizza in the fridge without my ice in the freezer ending up tasting like pizza. Wonder if it (or a similar competing brand) would help? http://www.berrybreeze.com/

11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

The best of all possible worlds!

12. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Maybe changing socks just before putting on your dance shoes could help. Socks will absorb moisture from your body; if you've been wearing them all day in your street shoes you will transfer that moisture to your dance shoes when you put them on in the evening.

13. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

This is a viable option for men, but most women I know do not wear socks or nylons with their dance shoes - they go barefoot in the shoes. Which of course does not necessarily help the problem being discussed.

14. Dancing Irishman

Does not necessarily help? More like definitely hurts...my jazz shoes struggle with the problem than my ballroom. Similarly, my toms need a lot more interior cleaning than my dress shoes.

Although my ex partner did wear thin socks with shoes for practice.

15. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I take my shoes that I have used out of their bags and leave them to dry overnight after arriving home from the studio... and when needed, I'll leave them in the trunk of my car in winter for a few hours or overnight. I imagine that for those in warmer locales, putting them in a large ziplock and into the freezer will work as well.

ocean-daughter likes this.
  16. Dancing Irishman

One of the perks of being way up north, eh?

FancyFeet likes this.
  17. OreganO

OreganO Member

I'm a bit late to this post but I learned a magical deodorizing trick from pointe shoes: crystal cat litter. A small sachet of it works nicely for deodorizing and drying. Plus you don't have to worry about damaging shoes!

Miss Silly, dbk and Larinda McRaven like this.
  18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Is that a brand?

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

No, it's made from crystalized cats.

OreganO, MyssMyst, Loki and 5 others like this.
  20. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Just wash them! I've washed my satin court shoes multiple times. Be gentle with them when washing the satin top part and use a nice smelling laundry detergent. After getting them fresh it will be easier to use these methods to keep them smelling good rather than trying to overpower the stench with another smell.

Sania likes this.