Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > New dance show on TLC

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by billman, May 24, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

:eek:...now I am going to have to try to find it

2. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I would love to see this. I'm disappointed that I missed it. I've been looking on Youtube/OnDemand, etc. but can't seem to find the unedited, English version. If anyone knows when this will be re-aired on tv or if you find it on youtube, etc., please share!

3. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Ditto....I missed it...cannot find it on anything....amazon instant videos, iTunes etc.....hope they re-air soon

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Tritto only the russian dubbed version of desert classic on you tube listened to the english through the dubbing

5. bowi

bowi Member

The show starts around here in about 10 minutes. I'm gonna give it another chance. Maybe this episode will be better.

6. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

I was searching everywhere and found session 5, 6 and 3 in Russian,but not English. MANHATTAN, VIRGINIA STATE and something else. Interesting. Nothing on demand on TLC or other services.

7. Mr 4 styles

You tube under ballroom blitz 1 2 3 4. The episode is fractionated

8. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I just e-mailed them--sort of--it was an entertainingly convoluted process--asking if there were plans to reshow it or make it available on demand. I will be stunned if I get a reply, but one never knows and I will pass on any information. It seems particularly unlikely that I will get a response since Ballroom Blitz was not listed under the mandatory-to-select-one show choices. I chose Ballroom Bootcamp and explained in the comments that I was really asking about Ballroom Blitz. :)

(I am clearly procrastinating and will return to doing other more pressing activities….)

9. Mr 4 styles

i know the producer ill email her

sbrnsmith and RiseNFall like this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

She gave me another name I'll look into

11. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

It was an okay representation of the pro-am ballroom scene (with obvious tv dramatization). It was cool to see one of our local couples on the show. I don't know that anyone outside of the ballroom world would have the stamina to sit through 6 episodes of it (I was working through most of it, and just listening). The show isn't really about the dancing, it's about the dance experience. The recurring theme was that ballroom dancing is expensive.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...that is a very accurate reality

13. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

FTFY

Social dancing can be relatively reasonable. ;)

Loki likes this.
  14. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

The implication was decidedly *not* competitive ballroom dancing is expensive, or pro-am is expensive. It was ballroom dancing is expensive. Which is accurate but certainly not thorough. The cost can vary a lot, even for those wanting to compete. Am-am costs are less than half pro-am costs in nearly every way. And how much you spend on competitions is completely up to the individual. Even in pro-am I know people who are happy with 1 lesson a week, 1 dress, compete 3-4 times a year mostly at local comps, and they compete in only one style. The cost of this approach is vastly different than 5 lessons a week, 4 styles, closetful of dresses, 200+ entries per comp and 10-12 out of town comps a year.

But when it comes down to it, when I tell a non-dancing friend I pay about $100 an hour for a lesson, they find it outrageously expensive. Considering cheap hobbies can range in the hundred dollars a year budget, ballroom is not a cheap hobby, if you actually care to improve at it. And even strictly social dancers I know (which admittedly is a small sampling), tend to take at least couple lessons a month.

15. kckc

kckc Active Member

A dancing friend who just finished watching mentioned the same thing about the implication of cost. She said she didn't want the people at work who know that she dances to think that she spends that much. She is somewhere in between the categories of pro-am you mentioned, but definitely closer to the first, less expensive category.

16. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Amateur/collegiate dancing, for contrast: spend a tiny tiny fraction of that cost! A grad school friend did ask me about my dresses and how expensive they were (expensive for grad students but super cheap compared to premium dresses) and made me feel awkward about it.

Ailuene likes this.
  17. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I had DVR'd the shows and watched a few yesterday. It would be interesting to hear the reaction of those involved--did they feel the show accurately represented their feelings and reactions, and were they pleased that they participated in this.

And definitely, the show presented this hobby as very expensive, which it can be, especially for pro-am which was the show's focus. And, they low-balled some of the pricing. But several of the competitors where like, hey, I can do this without taking away from anything more important, and life only comes around once, so I'm going to go for it. That's ok with me. Overall, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch more episodes or talk it up to my friends. Maybe it's because I'm not a big reality TV fan…..but it was fun to see a few familiar faces on the screen.