General Dance Discussion > New Kind of Dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Terrance Davenport, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Terrance Davenport

Terrance Davenport New Member

But I guess this website thinks I'm a robot, so I have to wait to share the link...

The video is on YouTube, it's on a channel called Positive Vibrations, and it's a Dubstep Dance unlike any other You may have seen before. Promise.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

This is a partner dance forum, you may not find the level of interest in your dance that you expected.

Terrance Davenport likes this.
  3. Terrance Davenport

I see. Thank You for the information sir, but I think if You saw it, You'd be interested.

And this is not being said with arrogance, but this is a truly unique, never-before seen style of dancing, with much energy and precision.

Any dancer would be interested in this.

It's called, "Unbelievable Dubstep Dance!! Best Video So Far, Beaking New Ground"

But since I just put it up today, you may have to use the filter and specify this day or this week.

4. snapdancer

I actually did see your video before I responded earlier, and my own reaction was somewhat below your expectations.

But if you enjoy what you're doing, then you should continue regardless of the reactions or non-reactions of others.

5. Terrance Davenport

Trust me, I will continue, I was just hoping that this site would be a place where I could share dance content with other open-minded dancers.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

As snapdancer mention we are dancers who ballroom, swing, and tango dance. We dance with partners. Perhaps dubstep might be a novel video to glimpse at but it is not a style that we partake in.

In any case welcome to DF. Have you ever tried swing dancing? I bet you would love it if you tried it!

ajiboyet likes this.
  7. Xelebes

Xelebes Member

It can be a struggle to find a venue to discuss solo dancing. There is the urban dance subreddit on Reddit which is, I guess, okay. But apart from that. . . yeah. It would be nice if there was a subforum for solo dancing or urban dancing.

That all said, it might be helpful to learn a little skank, the dances that developed around ska, jungle and dub. You're footwork reminds me of a little r&b step and conflicts with the music. Since dubstep is based off of Jamaican-British rhythms, this would help tighten things up. The footwork will help you move around the floor as you need.

8. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Would work well with the Hip Hop group, but, the majority of members on this site are totally partnership style dancers .

9. snapdancer

The subtext in all of your posting seems to be that your dance is so wonderful that someone else who doesn't embrace it is close-minded. Not the case at all for me. I have an established interest in partner dancing that absorbs my available bandwidth of resources (time, $$$, etc).

Let me turn this around. Are you open-minded enough to try partner dancing? OK, so maybe you don't find any form of partner dancing wonderful enough to spend time at it. But I don't think it makes you close-minded.

Have you studied other solo dances, such as jazz/tap/ballet/hip hop? Not necessarily enough to become a master, but enough to recognize elements of technique that could be used in your dance. Do you know what core is, and how to use it?

Let's say that you've found a niche where people are not "close-minded" like me and are actually interested in your dance. Do you have a method to teach your dance to others who probably don't have your dance background or maybe no dance background at all? Teaching dance to someone else is difficult enough, if you haven't broken it down to its essential elements in order to be able to explain it, you will have a hard time finding disciples.

10. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Agreed. I watched the first 3 minutes out of morbid curiosity, was underwhelmed. Though I'm generally unconvinced that there is truly much new under the sun as far as dance goes, it's just what goes in and out of style and how things are strung together and styled.

Try out for "So You Think You Can Dance" with these moves and get back to us.

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Most people here know I’m pretty nice

But.... that was horrible. It’s not popping or animation or well... anything. Give that song to Cyrus “glitch”Spencer or marquese “nonstop” Scott or any dragon house member they would murder that beat. Get some training before you try to evolve a style. Thank you

newbie and IndyLady like this.
  12. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I watched it. Not my jam, but you do you, dude. You should totally try swing dancing, though!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

I once danced Tango with my dear wife during a dubstep warm-up act at a Savant Concert.

I think you would have easily been the best dancer there, and good enough that people would have stopped dancing to watch you. Similarly, I think if you did that during a Tango cortina (short musical break between sets of songs) you'd get applause in my area.

Here are a couple of songs I like that I think would fit your style well:

Savant, Sawchain
    Adventure Club, Kaboom

For the broader audience, many songs have been "dubstepped," just type in "Your_favorite_song dubstep" in YouTube.

14. tangotime

This , as I re-call, was being danced in Detroit many years back .

15. Xelebes

Xelebes Member

Are you refering to jit? This doesn't have any of the footwork nor does it have the attire-play that typifies the dance. You are correct the dance he is doing for a while has been around a while but others are correct in identifying that this dance is very much like the animation style.

16. tangotime

No, " Dub " : a buddy of mine ( at a latino club in Atlanta ) quite a few years ago ( early 90s?) he mentioned it to me by name. I never asked to see what it looked like .

17. Xelebes

Xelebes Member

Dubstep appeared as early as 1997 in Britain but was a fully fledged thing by 1999 (that is, mixtapes were appearing with it being the title style.) Prior to that, doing a rub-a-dub to dub was a thing but that dance is much different.

18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Dubsteo is the music. Not the dance style

IndyLady likes this.