Ballroom Dance > "New" position for leader's right hand?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by jwlinson, Jun 21, 2017.

1. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

I recently saw someone dancing their standard/smooth dances with the leader's hand palm-out on the lady's left side (as in back of hand on her shoulder blade), as opposed to the usual palm-in we're all used to. I was told this is the "latest thing".

Curious, I tried it and I can see where this would help the leader keep the right arm in the proper position and not "droop" as is common among those new to dancing standard/smooth, but I see no other benefit than that.

Is this the "newest greatest" thing, or just a practice hold as I assume it is? Has anyone else seen this?

2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I feel like that just has to be a training thing.

ajiboyet and Miss Silly like this.
  3. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I'm with Jude. Yeah, I can see how it could help against droop, but it's got to be extremely uncomfortable (and not particularly communicative) on the lady's back.

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

newp

IndyLady likes this.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Seems really awkward.

6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

As a follower: please don't do this.

Sania, j_alexandra and IndyLady like this.
  7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

We have done that before, exactly for the reasons mentioned above - it was an effective way to get the lead to keep his right shoulder in a better position (when he turned out the hand). As the follower, it actually felt better becasuse it alleviated the squeeze/pull (and lower arm tension) and made it easier for me to keep myself in my position. It was ONLY for training - we definitely woudln't do that in a comp LOL.

8. SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal New Member

It is a training thing. My teacher has ordered me to use the Hand of Shame for a month. Her husband was apparently made to do it for a year, including competitions.

twnkltoz, Borazine and theAnnelis like this.
  9. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Hand of Shame :rofl:

ajiboyet, Sania, Miss Silly and 2 others like this.
  10. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Love it!

11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

12. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

"Do it correctly, or else be forced to use the HAND OF SHAAAAME!"

cornutt likes this.
  13. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

You beat me to it!!! LOOOOOOOL...

14. dancepro

dancepro Member

It is a teaching tool used by many teachers from England. It is used when the initiator is pulling/pushing the partner.

j_alexandra likes this.
  15. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

And here is the extreme..

At her socials, (for fun ) Peggy Spencer would ask the men to dance in closed position ( F/Trot ) with their right arm hanging downwards. Feather, Rev, Feather finish, .. 3 step and Natural .

For those not in the know, Peggy was one of the premium teachers in the London area (Penge ) and did the commentaries for TV in BR events, in the 50s and 60s..

cornutt likes this.
  16. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

If we're talking practice/learning regimens, I've seen small balloon between the couples around lower rib cage area, dance with both hands, then only right hand on lady's back, then only left hand to lady's right hand, then no hands, don't drop the balloon, don't pop the balloon, dance feather, reverse, feather finish, three step, natural weave, reverse turn check and weave, change of direction, repeat.

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I don't have a huge issue with it as a training tool - lord knows I've been known to do some 'crazy' things in lessons or practice - but I maintain, as a follower, please do not surprise me with this. Not for socials, or performances, or competitions (or their immediate prep) IMHO.

Larinda McRaven likes this.