New Salsa timing video "La Pantera Mambo"

Discussion in 'Videos' started by urish, Sep 15, 2010.

1. urish

urish New Member

The idea was to create a simple video for beginners who wants to understand the Salsa music better, explaining its structure, rhythm and components.

Here is the result, would love to get your feedback:

2. Kits

Kits New Member

What a useful tool! I like it a lot.

3. urish

urish New Member

Thank you. Any ideas for a song for the next video in series?

4. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Nice, but a wee long. Wish there were something like it, though, for mambo to get BRs to stop dancing on the 3.

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Looking at the clip.. where is it explaining the rhythm ?.. I seriously do not believe, that most students would even begin to comprehend its point .

Even in my class work, when I isolate the various rhythmic styles ( Guajira, Montuno, Guaguanco ) they still have difficulty with identification..

Im always open to new concepts, but this one escapes me .

6. darkoff

darkoff New Member

I think this is great. I love that song, too.

7. darkoff

darkoff New Member

It seems pretty clear to me, but maybe the following would have to be explained to beginners:
    The vertical lines show the beats, and the red vertical line is beat 1. The number of the beat is shown by the panther. Someone also says "one" on beat 1. You can see the spikes in the music on the beats, and see that they line up with the vertical lines, too.

8. tangotime

Agreed.. some written form of explanation ( or voiceover ) should accompany the audio.. in addition.. I believe it will get a very small audience, and possibly will never reach those that need it... and.. if you are a teacher, then this is something you should already know ...

A little too superficial for my likes.. a good effort, but more detail needed ..

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I posted the vid in a german salsa forum as an aid to the question: How can I find the #1 in a rhythmic sequence?

-So the vid is pretty long, so that this studend has several attempts for trying.

-there is a hint (caption): entry of the instruments in one verse.

10. tangotime

Ah.. now that makes more sense...

11. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

12. urish

urish New Member

Thank you darkoff, I have just updated the video description based on your suggestion. I guess that what is obvious for me may not be so obvious for beginners...