General Dance Discussion > No compensation for lost dance career?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by chachachacat, Aug 18, 2005.

1. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I am so frustrated!!!
    How can they say a disease which has taken away my beloved dance career of 17 years isn't disabling? They don't care if I can't dance, just so I could sit and type or do anything morons can do. "They" is SSI Disability from our "generous" government. I have been turned down, as are most people the first time, and now I have to appeal. What a bunch of crap!!!

Being a dancer is more than a job, it is who I am! :!: :!:

Can I cry on anyone's shoulder? :cry:

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

My shoulder is available... :cry:

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Mine too. :together:

4. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

Unfortunately, you will have to apply at least three times (appeal 2x) in order to get anywhere. This is on purpose, to weed out the lazies. Of course, if you had some some sort of self inflicted disease due to poor lifestyle choices, your approval would be near automatic.
    I am sorry to hear about your dance careere ending, as well being sorry to hear you have a condition that requires the ending of your career.

5. kdogg

kdogg New Member

My shoulder is all yours!!! I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sure if you keep trying, uncle Sam will come to sense and help you out. Cheers.

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

While I'm unsure of Uncle Sam's good will in this respect, please know that I'll be happy to :bkick: as needed!!! :evil:

7. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Did/do you work for the government? You seem to know this stuff. In trying to weed out the lazy people (which I don't think they should do it in the first place if they're compromised in any form), people who're genuinely in need of the support are also sacrificed. Why does such system has to be unnecessarily complex? :evil: You would think that a developed country like the US would have pretty efficient systems.

8. chachachacat

Thanks, everybody!!
    THREE times??? WTF?
    K49- did you mean approval or disapproval?

Is dancing a "self-inflicted poor lifestyle choice" like drugs??

9. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Wait a minute, I will probably be boo-ed way out over this so I may never again submit anyting to df, but....

I really feel for the end of anyone's career - especially if it is something they love.

But - If you are able to do something else, even a boring job like working in an office, like me and a bunch of other "clerical/administrative" morons, then you shouldn't be allowed to collect social security? You are not permanently disabled for work!

There was a police officer in my city that shot and killed a bad guy. Said he was emotionally distraught and was declared permanently disabled. He got disability from the city. Then he applied for a private investigator license. Either you are disabled or not!

10. chachachacat

thank you! Who are you going to kick? How about my electrophysiologist? :lol:

What about PDF? Isn't there something for catastrophic illness for dance teachers??
    What about somebody throwing me a Benefit Dance?
    I did one 3 years ago for hospital bills, and it was successful. I'm not up to doing it again, though.

11. diputs

diputs New Member

I hope everything works out for you.

I looked through some of your previous posts. From one post, I gathered that you are 17 and from Hawaii. But then you laughed after you posted that, so I am not sure.

Have you posted your story about what happened to you? From your above quote, I believe you are implying that you do not have health insurance, or your insurance did not cover your medical costs.

You do not need to post your story, I hope you do not feel I am prying. I was being nosey.

12. Medira

Medira New Member

Awww Cat, you can have one shoulder or both. You can have endless hugs. You can have one or even both ears to listen if you want to talk/rant/scream/whatever.

*squeezes tight*

13. chachachacat

That was a joke. I taught Ballroom for 17 years. I have cardiac arrythmia, PVCs.(premature ventricular contractions)
    I have posted about it before. I do have med. ins., my own policy that costs a fortune. Independent dance instructor, you know, NO benefits!

14. chachachacat

AWW, thanks, Medira, my dear! You all are making me feel better, even though it's only virtual hugs, which aren't as good as real ones.
    I might take you up on this kind offer! Some days I need to rant/scream/cry, and my SO and my friends are sick of hearing it.

But now, it looks like I may have to get an attorney for my appeal!!!!!
    ACK!!!! I hate all this B!S!!!!!!

15. chachachacat

Yes, I understand your point completely.
    I tried a sit-down, part-time office job for a month, and it was very tough. It wore me out, even 4 hours a day, and I had to call in sick a lot. If I overdo it, I get completely exhausted, and it takes 2 days or more of bedrest to get back to semi-normal. I got fired.

This is good, it's helping me to clarify my thoughts.

Sorry I said morons. What I meant was, what a waste of all my talents, knowledge and everything I've spent so many years acquiring.

16. diputs

diputs New Member

I say this everyday as I go to my "job." I used to have a job that I loved. Things changed.

That sucks about the attorney. It is never good when it gets to that point.

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Cat,
    I'm also in line for you . . . shoulders and whatever other part you need :wink:

I know of one other individual with similar problems who was attempting what you are . . . and it is a paperwork nightmare, but from what I understand, it is to weed out the fakers and, as what was already mentioned - the lazy!

Keep tough . . . you'll succeed!

Let any of us know if we can help in any manner???

Vince
    HUGS!!!!!

18. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

No, I do not work for the government. BUt I have had extensive dealings with them, in the course of my activities, and in the aid of several friends and family members. You are right, many truly disabled people get discouraged and quit applying, or fall through the cracks. Sometimes a special lawyer must be rretained (look in your yellow pages). This situation is a reaction, of course the usual overrreaction if you understand the government) to a serious problem....people faking disability or perhaps total disability, sometimes with the complicity of health care providers, to bilk the system out of millions of dollars. Rather than just punish the evildoers, they punish everyone.....so like elementary school, eh? In any case, they will probably continue to fight the claim, because you could possibly allow for employment in a less strenuous position. Sucks, but it's the system. PVC's stink, man. Male you extremely tired.

19. chachachacat

49er-Do you have PVCs? Someone you know?

20. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

And I am sorry I seemed unfeeling. As soon as I pressed the submit button, I wished I hadn't.
    There is a difference between NOT being able to handle office work and just thinking it is a lowly job. It is what you make of it.