Tango Argentino > Not touchy feely

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Tango Distance, Mar 5, 2015.

1. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Why, no.
    Tense, nervous, impatient, sometimes. Such as this lady a few weeks ago in a practise, who was just back from BsAs where she had attended privates with J. Balmaceda and was eager to show me.

Julio, I feel for you.

2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

One thing you can do is, one you get her the embrace, take a big, deep breath and let it out. This will often cause her to do the same, and that often helps your body relax.

Tango Distance and RiseNFall like this.
  3. twnkltoz

One of my favorite partners can always tell if I had too much coffee that day. I'm more...excitable? Energetic? :)

Tango Distance likes this.
  4. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

Aw, Newbie, that must be because you are the kind of guy who puts the ladies at ease and are in possession of dance skills such that the ladies are beyond anxious to get things started. Hmmm, yet another interesting thought occurred to me. It could be confident Newbie gets confidence reflected back to him. Maybe coming across as less than 100% open to embracing, or some other less-than-perfect trait in me is getting reflected back to me. Look out, here comes another thought. This is another good reason to start at the beginning of the 1st song of a Tanda, asking during the cortina well beforehand could lead to even minutes of potentially awkward time waiting for that cortina to end.
    Sounds like good advice for the TD in any case!
    Trembling? :cool:

5. Chrisa Assis

Chrisa Assis Member

BTW, has enyone else observed their dance partner trembling at the start of a tanda? I have seen this a few times. It usually goes away during the first song or after I gently rotate the free arm in a circle and say "You are tense, relax." Is this like beginner skier tenseness? Are these ladies having a Tango Distance moment?[/QUOTE]

It might be because she was nervous, but to me trembling occurs because my legs and muscles are still cold. Or when I am too tired...

Also, sometimes, in cases like this, action is much more comforting than words. Like you said, it looked like she needed a hug, maybe that is actually what would have made her stop while on the dancefloor. Consider, next time this happens--hopefully won't be in the near future--to come to pause, you can come back to your base, with feet together and only shift your weight from one foot the other. Then you try to relax your embrace, so she can relax as well. ;)

6. Tango Distance

Rationing Hugs

I stood in front of one of my classmates at a practica and said goodbye. I think I could tell from her body language she would have enjoyed a hug, but I feel like I have only so many of them in me to give and walked away.

OK, got to go with the plan. I walked up to a lady that is one of the few who knows my narrative. She is also one of the people I'll do CE with. I said "bye" and she quick jumped up and hugged me -- she knows me well enough to do more of a side hug and make it quick. I knew she would likely do that, so it was not really a surprise. I even facilitated it by walking up to her. I could have just left. I could tell by body language the lady next to her wanted a hug, too. Oh great, I wasn't ready for this, this wasn't part of the plan.

No joke, I said, "I guess I have to hug you now, too." Had I the brains to stop there, it might have worked out OK. She might have interpreted it as "Oh boy! Lucky me! I just HAVE to to hug you right now!" But no, the TD dug himself in deeper and said "I shouldn't have said that." I turned it from benefit-of-the-doubt to no-doubt-I-don't-want-to-hug-you. :eggface: :oops::beye::sorry::pain: She didn't seem put off, but still jumped up and we did a brief hug.

This hugging stuff is not something where I can just trust my instincts! I have to plan things out to some degree.

I better appreciate the people earlier in my "Not Touchy Feely" thread that said they like the structured interaction dance can provide. I do find it interesting I'll dance with someone, even CE sometimes, but feel awkward about hugging even seconds later -- maybe it is that structured vs. unstructured thing.

7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

That's the phenomenon referred to by World-of-Warcraft gamers as "taking aggro". When you target a foe, the whole group will attack you.

8. Chrisa Assis

Chrisa Assis Member

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

One of my female colleagues walked by today and gave me one of her somewhat enigmatic smiles. Since we hadn't seen each other for a while, I patted her on the back. Then I said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't ask permission." She laughed.

Well, I pretty much have learned to trust my instincts, whether casual touching or hugging. (Although I sometimes question myself mercilessly afterwards.)
    On the other hand, I've been working on this (tango wise and otherwise) for about 15 years, so I've had lots of practice.

10. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

I am a natural huger: if I like someone - a man or a woman - I would hug them coming and/or going. Never had a problem with that.
    I believe people sense whether it genuine affection or formality and respond accordingly. But not everyone is the same... My recommendation to Tango Distance and alike is to be consistent. If you hug selectivity (some yes other no) people will think you do not like them and that may create unnecessary rift.

Tango Distance and Mr 4 styles like this.
  11. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

At this point tango has removed almost all of my personal boundaries. Hugging just seems to be a standard greeting/parting ritual for tango people. To top it off, I've been told my community is extra-huggy even by tango standards (Tango Distance, you'd probably hate it here!). For example, classes usually have a hug before/after partners rotate.

It's gotten bad. When I got my new job and met my boss for the first time, I almost got up and hugged him before realizing that that probably wouldn't be appropriate.

12. twnkltoz

I have no sense of personal boundaries. People touch me, I touch them, it just doesn't occur to me that it isn't normal.

13. Tango Distance

I have been hugging selectively. If someone gets a hug from me (or, more accurately, I'm tolerating the hug from them) my DW will sometimes say "You are special to get a hug from Tango Distance."

While I have seen that some would like a hug that didn't get one, I hadn't thought that some ladies might think I don't like them. I am very egalitarian for asking ladies to dance, and have been complimented that I ignore clique structure. I just realized I have created my own hug clique of sorts. I feel tired just thinking about running a full hug gauntlet with all the ladies, maybe I should be doing ninja departures from milongas.
    Tom, don't you teach? It's time for you to get control of your classes. Ask them to do the hugging after class, on their own time, and not "on the clock", the time that people paid for to learn to dance. Let's put some numbers to it. A $10 lesson for 50 minutes is 1 penny per 3 seconds. Switch partners every 3 minutes, that's 16 partner switches, but then it is 32 hugs if before and after, figure 3 seconds a hug... We are talking about 1/3 of a dollar of lost value in all that time wasted on hugging.
    Not hugging is normal in some cultures.

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

A while ago I had lessons and privates with Sebastián Arce. When it came to enrosques he started lecturing 40 min on hugging and kissing....

15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Don't worry. There is a guy at the studio who really does not like the hug and kiss thing. However, he accepts it so gracefully from those who initiate them that it took me a while to understand how he felt about it. I am not the least bit offended when he participates in the hugging/kissing thing with others and not with me.

16. Tango Distance

I know many Tango people are into hugging, but weren't people thinking "Enough already let's dance" after a bit?
    He probably has some nuggets of wisdom for me, can you please ask? Feel free to answer here or in PM as you think is best.

The people who know me from my early Tango days are generally respectful. The newer people just assume I'm like other Tangoers and will just pull me in to show me close embrace moves, for instance. Interestingly, two ladies who blatantly asked to do CE (which I did) at a later date one physically held me off, the other said "You can stay open embrace." I asked an instructor about CE, and she said "First you have to want to be that close to someone." There are other stories. Apparently I am radiating some unease or something that these ladies are picking up on, or maybe it's just my OE is so much better than my CE, or maybe they just remember my history.

At a close embrace Blues dancing class I did sense one lady was truly enjoying CE with me. I was doing well that night and was totally sync'd with the music. I did do a CE Tango class with a visiting instructor. Some of the new-to-Tango people seemed to really enjoy CE with me. It was enough of an adventure I'll write it up in the future.

I'm hoping I can become more like RiseNFall's friend and not ooze any negativity when hugged.

opendoor likes this.
  17. RiseNFall

He's just been in the dance world longer than have, plus he's a good actor (I've seen him do showcases).

18. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

Tango Distance, I am going to express my personal opinion here, and I am sure some will disagree completely or partially, but that's what I believe:

Argentine Tango is close embrace dance. That is one of it's fundamental aspects. Close embrace means dancing in a hugging position. If hugging and close contact with women (other than your wife, as you stated earlier) is not your thing, I question whether Argentine Tango is for you. The are many fine Ballroom dances where close embrace is not part of it.
    Why do you feel the desire to Tango if "hugging" is a problem for you?

19. RiseNFall

He has a lot of fun and enjoyment doing it his way and it is clear from his posts that he is a valued member of the community.

Tango Distance and raindance like this.
  20. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

This.

RiseNFall likes this.