Nuclear-free drum machine...

Discussion in 'Videos' started by opendoor, May 26, 2013.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Similar, but much more sophisticated production.
    BTW, currently my favorite video.

3. Steve Pastor

And, while I'm at it. This may or may not have anything to do with swing (and then, I see what looks like swing in the video). I'd seen the still for this one several times when doing YouTube. It looked like it was contrived, and I guess it is... but in a good, vintage way. Decided to watch it today, and am really glad I did. This one works one several to many levels.

As an end note - It's been many years since I hitch hiked, and I guess it was one of the few times in my life I truly relied on the kindness of strangers.

4. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Steve those are not really similar. The first one linked (absolutely brilliant btw) is swing while the other two tunes are country and don't swing. You need that chunk chunk chunk chunk rhythm for proper swing which is perfectly provided by the tractor in the first clip and they're covering Djano Reinhardt's version of Sweet georgie brown in there at the start anyway pretty much, although prompted by the tractor they go a bit faster.

5. Steve Pastor

They both have an idling small engine setting the beat.

6. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Fair point, I was being a bit too focused on the music itself and by the time the Brad Paisley one was well into the middle I'd forgotten about the tractor at the start

7. Steve Pastor

I've done a fair bit of traveling, and the theme of the song just really touches me. And, having seen the Maasai in Tanzania, that deal with the cut out of Paisley, and the elephant walking into the frame almost on cue as he first sings "it can be shocking.' Paisley said in a interview that they was no blue screen involved in the video. "I know what it's like to be the only one like me." I also like the way they use "How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm" at the beginning and end.

Maybe I would be guilty of dancing swing to "non-swing music," but this song has me thinking that ole 1 2 3&4 5&6 pattern, starting out as a "double" or triple two step, but stopping and doing West Coast, too. (I like both ends: what most people would think of as the very fast and the very slow stuff to dance to. I often come across partners who don't do well at either end.)

I took a look at the sheet music, http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0115010&ref=google looked around for info on Paisley's style of playing... Best I can tell is that what I'm hearing has something to do with the "
    hemiola, this trick is done by playing an odd-numbered pattern in an even subdivision to create strong forward momentum.

Read more: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2013/Mar/Brad_Paisley_Concepts_and_Techniques.aspx#ixzz2Ubgq6WSJ

"I think that swing has the most to do with a steadily implied hemiola, so if a song strongly implies hemiola (not an actual hemiola, but implied) maybe you could consider it to "swing", but just not a "jazz swing"?
    That is indeed an interesting way of seeing swing. That is definitely how latin swings when every instrument adds it's particular polyrhythm to the group. I guess that would be like playing different patterns on different parts of the drum set too. "
    http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/archive/index.php/t-162.html

Just trying to figure out why I would do WCS to that song.

But, really, it was just about the "nuclear free" tractors!

8. opendoor

Sorry for being bold again (donĀ“t want to fall out with you), but the only sophisticated thing I saw in this clip actually is the baby-blue pimped out T-style :cool:

9. Steve Pastor

Some guy holding a camcorder, audibly laughing
    =
    the editing, etc, etc used in the "Southern Comfort Zone" video
    Really?
    Maybe you picked the wrong emoticon, and you are just kidding?

10. opendoor

Honestly, I like this guitar! Have you seen all those german cars in the running scenes? Seems to be a kind of a commercial. But I like the song meanwhile too, finally :)