Salsa > On1 and On2 same week

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by ticolora, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ticolora

ticolora Member

There are two group classes in my area every week. One is taught on 1, the other is taught on 2.

Should I work on one style for a while, and then (after few months?) and only then learn the other style?

Or is it feasible to do both styles same week? As far as practicing [solo], how frequently should I switch styles?

2. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

What is your previous dance background/experience?

What is the level of the classes? Same teacher/studio, or different ones?

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

There are at least two on-2 styles around. I find on-1 compatible with mambo classico and puertoriquena, but not with NY-style.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I'd master one timing first then add the other in

5. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

It depends on your experience. Mambo on2 "NY Style" is quite different from on1, and I'd probably separate the two if you're a newbie. Once you can distinguish the timing, I'd say do both... it can only help you in the long run.

ticolora and Mr 4 styles like this.
  6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

On 1 or 2 is not a style, but a choice of break points .

As Puente said " ALL salsa is Mambo but, not ALL Mambo is salsa ".. point ; "style" is essentially regional. with certain countries having their own ( Colombia for ex. ) .

Add to the descriptions , "Personal " style.

The UK, for some reason known to them, call their method " Cross body " primarily because it's not used in Cuban styles, like Son ( the original form ) .The name used by the UK is odd for this reason; they abhor ballroom styled salsa, and yet, choose a BR name !!!

As to 1 or 2, learn both, if you are a "follow" and region dependant, on your local dance scene.