Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > PBS "Dance For Me"

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by dancelvr, Jun 3, 2014.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Ooh, thanks for pointing that out! I'd seen the trailer before -- maybe here somewhere? -- but didn't know it was going to be shown. That's great.

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

And here I was about to run out for $100 in singles...

SwayWithMe and hereKittyKitty like this.
  4. dancelvr

LOL!!! The title is a bit misleading.

5. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Ha! :rofl:
    Seriously though, It does look like an amazing documentary :)

6. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I don't mean to throw a damper on the topic, and I am certain that it will be an entertaining story. Yet, I would like to see a documentary on Ballroom that doesn't involve, or revolve around, competitons. It is amazing, exciting, and sad all at the same time, the number of persons whom I encounter who have said, "Oh, I love to dance, but I could never do Ballroom (or, ...be a good Ballroom dancer)". I remember when it was common to hear, "Oh, I could never compete". Now, the general public thinks Ballroom 'is' competition and showdance. A documentary on how great it is to learn to go out to a ballroom and dance would be great.

7. dancelvr

Well, with as little honest, realistic attention American TV pays to ballroom dancing, I'll take what I can get.

hereKittyKitty likes this.
  8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

The most realistic American TV show these days is reruns of "Lost in Space".

9. kckc

kckc Active Member

has anyone seen this yet? A friend just notified me that it is going to be shown Monday July 21 at 10 pm CST on PBS.

10. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Hope it is OK to post a link to the PBS information about the show:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/blog/povdocs/2014/07/next-on-pov-dance-for-me/#.U8lEXLHHtyw

From the link:
    "After the broadcast, visit the Dance for Me companion site to watch the full film online for free for a limited time following the broadcast (July 22 to August 20, 2014), learn from the filmmaker in an extended video interview, find out what’s happened to the dancers since the cameras stopped rolling, download a discussion guide and other viewing resources, and ask filmmaker Katrine Philp and dancer Egor Kondratenko your questions live on Google+ on Tuesday, July 22, 2014 (the day after broadcast) from 1-2 PM ET (10-11 AM PT)."

Looks interesting.

Angel HI and dancelvr like this.
  11. Casey

Casey Member

12. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

• Monday, July 21 from 11:00 p.m. - 12:30 a.m. on OPB TV
    • Wednesday, July 23 from 4:00 a.m. - 5:30 a.m. on OPB TV
    There are the show times for Oregon Public Broadcasting. Maybe if it was filmed at Bushwhackers or the Portland Dance Festival it would have a higher profile???

13. phazesix

phazesix New Member

Eh...it was ok. Of course I feel really bad for Egor but I was disappointed with the ending. It was good to see Troels & Ina spreading their wisdom to young ones. I guess my expectations were too high....Ballroom Dancer it ain't!

14. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree (though I still need to see Ballroom Dancer, so I can't compare the two). It was an interesting glimpse, and it was nice to see the dancing, but film-wise there was some lack as far as flow/development/depth. Not bad, not great.

15. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

I saw most of it I think - was it short, like just 20 minutes? (Or did I only catch the ending?) When the credits started rolling I was surprised, I thought they were just getting started!

s2k likes this.
  16. bia

bia Well-Known Member

No, it was closer to an hour and a half. Sounds like you started an hour in.

17. dancelvr

I enjoyed it, but was also a bit disappointed. If you didn't have an interest in ballroom dancing, I'm sure it was quite dull. It seemed to be more about Egor moving away from his mother than it was about competitive dancing.

18. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Watched the entire movie. It's worth watching if you are a dancer but it would surprise me if anyone else would like it.

The video from the competitions wasn't very compelling. I never got the feeling that is was competition with lots of other good dancers, and the dancing scenes were very short. Maybe less time could be spent on the skype scenes and more on dancing?

The dark videography got on my nerves. I hate when entire movies are done like that because it's sad and dreary looking.

19. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

-A massive comp like the German Open prints out recalls? :just thinking of all the poor trees: :)
    -It's hard enough getting along with a partner who shares the same culture and primary language...