Ballroom Dance > Peabody Anybody??

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by BalboaSwing, Jul 9, 2004.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

The dance was named after a NYC Cop. He was very large ( according to all accounts ), so, to accommodate partners, he danced slightly apart , which also allowed him to dance L and R outside partner , with single time quicks .

It was on the AM dance list in the 40/50s , and this from their step list.....

1...Right turns ( 2 parts )
    2... Lock and Run ( 2 parts )
    3...Left turns ( 2 parts )
    4... Spiral to Lock
    5...The Pony
    6...Swivels
    7...Arch Turns ( 5 parts to this )
    8...Grapevine ( 2 parts )
    9...Right Pivot
    10.. Backward Lock..

It's easy to deduce, from where some of these variations originated ( Q/Step, for one ) and the "One " Step, as used in the original FT...

This dance ,was taught in the Silver medal program ..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Dance Vision has a syllabus DVD.

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Come to the great gatsby gala in June in san diego. Pro am Peabody championship with 5000 dollars in prize money :eek::eek:

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Since so few of us actually *like* doing Peabody, it's nice to see Peabody getting some respect. But I ain't going to San Diego to do it.

This past weekend, at Tristate, there was a lot of Peabody -- but I see now that the pro who was doing all that Peabody is part sponsor of the Gatsby gala. Makes sense.

5. Mr 4 styles

Yep. For a one thousand dollar first prize in the pro am Peabody you should be willing to come out!!!

6. j_alexandra

Not even for that.

7. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Apparently, there's a peabody event at a collegiate comp in New York tomorrow. I'm wondering whether any of the 13 couples signed up for it actually know what they signed up for ...

suburbaknght and RiseNFall like this.
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Video?

9. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

10. j_alexandra

11. dlliba10

If you meant video from the college comp, not worth it. One couple doing peabody and everyone else doing horrific quickstep or flat-out running across the floor out of time with the music.

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

13. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Here's another peabody routine that I liked with some really nice basics:

14. Mr 4 styles

Go to you tube and watch the great gatsby gala Peabody pro championship. Super fun

15. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

What a strange song !. but, good, clean solid basics ! ; Open Nat. and Rev. turns, Grapevine and lock steps

16. Pherin

Pherin New Member

Daniel I actually get to talk (type) to you in person instead of giving you a double thumbs up for the Silver Smooth Double Toxic at DCDI.

Im the one who instigated the Colligate Syllabus Peabody at RPI. They been thinking about it for several years. I was just the kick in the pants they needed. And YES I knew exactly what I was signing up for. And I have video:

If anyone is wondering I'm the one in tails. (Inspired by someone who wore them from Open Smooth at MIT a few years back) Placed 5th from a semifinal!

I am thinking about mounting a #SaveThePeabody or #BringBackPeabody campaign. It is a truly unique Smooth dance that is a throwback to bygone era of prohibited alcohol and fast jazz music.

17. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF, Pferin!

I'd like to see your video, but it shows up as unavailable ("This video may no longer exist, or you don't have permission to view it.")

Neat that you took on the challenge to learn the peabody!

Pherin likes this.
  18. Pherin

Pherin New Member

Should be good now, change the privacy settings on my vid. That usually doesn't happen to me.

raindance likes this.
  19. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! There was actually some decent Peabody there from what I could see.

20. dlliba10

Okay, thank goodness SOMEONE noticed it. I was so sad that I didn't get any immediate oohs and ahhs. :(

... Only a real nerd would wear a tailsuit in Open Smooth at MIT ...

j_alexandra and Mr 4 styles like this.