Ballroom Dance > Planning for 2018!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Jul 26, 2017.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I know it's a long way away but I actually have to start submitting vacation requests now for comps I want to go to in 2018.

Suggestions? ( I do Pro Am) and I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US.

I'd love to know what competitions you liked and the reasons why. I've been doing this for awhile so I know which ones I like, but love to hear some new ideas.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I'll list for my pro-am experiences only, and ones I've generally always picked:

I can really only speak for NDCA events as I've only done 1 USA Dance competition.

I can probably recommend any of the NYC area ones, with the exception of NYDF. I felt that the pro-am events were kind of rushed along. Manhattan is probably the best one and the best run. Empire, Paragon, & Tri State are great too. Nothing out of the ordinary I can complain about.

Outside of the NYC area, I was always very fond of Millennium & Ohio. They both have very large fields for a the younger age categories.

Embassy vs. Emerald - I always liked Embassy more. I don't really like that Emerald is held right by LAX. It made having an "off" day a bit more of a chore. Both are great run competitions though with large fields. I'd probably give Embassy a bit of an edge for pro-am.

USDC - I loved as a spectator, but I saw a lot of single field entries for pro-am. There were a lot of show dances though, and this might be the competition to do if you want to do that.

Hawaii Star Ball - I probably wasted my money... but it was on Waikiki.

debmc and scullystwin42 like this.
  3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Come north for La Classique!

Miss Silly and debmc like this.
  4. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I just love Heritage. The Grove Park Inn is a step back to a golden age. The spa is beautiful. Their show couples have always been exceptional. It has a nice vibe. I hope to do that comp in 2018, as I haven't been able to go for a few years.

Mr 4 styles and debmc like this.
  5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Hi Deb! We tend to run in the same circuits, but my pro has suggested the Carribean Dancesport in November, I (the DH and I) love new places and such (explorations and hikes mixed in with ballroom comps for me). Still on the fence but leaning towards doing it.

debmc likes this.
  6. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to do more independents in the midwest soon. Anyone have experiences with that? WI State is always well attended, what about the others? I've been to Snow Ball and Twin Cities, but only as a spectator for the pros.

debmc likes this.
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

KC and St Louis are good. Plus you get to see me!!
    Savannah is great fun. Everyone is constantly out exploring.
    Cleveland and Cincinnati are also in neighborhoods that are fun to get out and roam around.

debmc, j_alexandra and scullystwin42 like this.
  8. scullystwin42

Thanks! I always like seeing you. I get to be all "I KNOW HER, THAT JUDGE I KNOW HER!"

9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking about NYDF, but now, maybe not. I haven't done Milennium or Ohio in awhile but I loved Emerald this year and I'm going to be doing Embassy. I like the idea of Hawaii....but sounds like maybe it should be a separate vacation.

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What season...too cold for me if it's winter!

11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I've done Heritage a few times. It is beautiful out there.

12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

We are going to Caribbean too! So excited!

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I've done KC, but none of the rest. I'll have to keep them in mind!

3wishes likes this.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think I would be too shy to even introduce myself!

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

come on.... Anyone here that has ever come up and said HI can attest that I love getting to meet you all!

But seriously what do you want out of competition? Do you want a good city to explore with nightlife or shopping? A state/city you have never been too? Stiff competition? Gentle competition? Competition with good pro-am party? Theme nights?

16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Well if my DH had his way he would make me do a comp in Wisconsin and Michigan for the lone reason of saying I have been in all 50 states, therefore allowing me to be in the "all 50 states club" which has it's original beginnings at the visitor center in Fargo North Dakota......really?....".......sigh.....I need to find him something to do other than road warrior. Lol.

debmc likes this.
  17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

It's in February, but worth the trip. Big floor, beautiful balloom, multiple practice floors, great show and runs like clockwork. And thanks to the underground tunnels connecting much of downtown Montreal, there's no need actually go outside... but I highly recommend the swim out heated pool. There's something awesome about a swim while surrounded by snow.

A summertime option, in the same hotel in June, is Dansesport Montréal. Also a great comp, but pro-am fields tend to be slightly larger and of slightly higher quality at Classique.

Miss Silly and debmc like this.
  18. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

My biggest complaint with NYDF was how the awards were done. They did them in a private room with no lineup.

They may do things differently now though.

I still would pick Empire or Manhattan over it though if you had to pick an NYC competition.

debmc likes this.
  19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

There are comps I've been to that I would not go again, for various reasons

debmc likes this.
  20. scullystwin42

i want stiff competition, a lot of people in my level/age group, and good customer service from the comp. A well-run comp is a big plus. I don't go for the outside activities, the competitor gifts, dinners, the amenities, what have you. When i determine i can do a competition, i'll try to find a way to include my family for something, but it's not a requirement.

Larinda McRaven and debmc like this.