Tango Argentino > Poll for the ladies; To Cologne, or NOT to Cologne, THAT is the question!

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by joedevon, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

OK. If I go there again, I'll even pronounce it the way they pronounce it.
    Munich, too.
    Rattlesnake, even, also, as in Rattlesnake Saloon.

2. Oliver

Oliver Member

Knowing that women tend to have a more sensitive sense of smell then men, I aim for a faint, pleasant scent at the start of the evening so that it's never too much.

I wear:

Scented deodorant (not anti-perspirant).
    1/2 to 1 spritz of cologne (a light, sweet-smelling one; not a cloying, heavy one) applied to chest early in the evening, before my shirt.
    Beard oil (cloves and citrus).

I've gotten lots of compliments on how I smell, and zero negative feedback. Though the people who don't like cologne at all probably just avoid me without saying a word. I'm ok with that.

3. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

My SO has the privilege to choose my perfume, if it's important for her - I don't care.
    Other tangueras may accept or decline - I don't care.

4. Mia

Mia Member

Very interesting thread!

For me personally, cologne is less of the key scent in a dance partner. Things like shower gel scent seems to be more attractive for me. I love it when a dance partner smells fresh!

Omar Maderna and TomTango like this.
  5. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Cologne is nice if you dress nice and are well groomed :). If you come to a milonga in jeans and a t-shirt, forget it!

6. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg New Member

Ladies should avoid Cologne especially at New Year's.

cornutt likes this.
  7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Honestly, a poll for dancing ladies concerning cologne, only can be meant for guys with or without cologne.

8. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Way way back in the original post for this thread, the following question was posed:
    "Ladies, how do you feel about your dance partners wearing cologne?"
    1. Love it!
    2. Like it, but not a must.
    3. Don't especially like it, but it's OK if they do.
    4. Hate it! DON'T DO IT!​

opendoor likes this.
  9. LivingstonSeagull

LivingstonSeagull New Member

Cologne/perfume is a tricky thing. Something that smells pleasant to one person may smell terrible to another. I know a guy who nearly fainted after a tanda with one woman whose perfume had a lily as a basenote - in his culture lily is a funeral flower and he recently buried his aunt, so the smell evoked a very powerful emotion that had nothing to do with dancing.
    My own dance partner recently changed colognes and the new one smells sticky sweet and unpleasant to me - even a faint whiff is unpleasant!
    Sometimes a guy wears a scent that is attractive for me which deepens the connection on the dance floor. Sometimes the scent is pleasant but way too strong and I end up smelling it on my skin way after the tanda had ended - not a good thing. So many variables... and they all define our experiences on the dance floor. Our sense of smell is more acute than we give ourselves credit for - sometimes we are attracted to someone or repulsed by him seemingly without a reason and smell often is the underlying reason for it, even if the guy doesn't smell of BO or overwhelmingly of a cologne. You can't predict nor please everyone. So I'd say - stick with what you feel comfortable with and just be yourself.