Ballroom Dance > Practice/teaching shoe advice

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by s2k, Mar 4, 2017.

1. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I've signed up for a combination group class where both silver-level smooth and rhythm dances get taught in one hour. I've found the smooth steps hard to accomplish in my latin sandals, so I'd like to get a pair of practice/teaching shoes to take this class in.

I wear a 3 in a Supadance style. I am not digging any of their practice shoe styles.

I've been looking at International - I bought the Heather in a 4.5 since it is a closed shoe - sending it back because I'm pretty sure it's too big. I like the fabric upper, otherwise. I bought larger than my latin sandal style because I thought since it's a closed shoe my toes might get squished, but I'm thinking I should just exchange the 4.5 for a 3 and see what happens. Those of you who wear a latin sandal AND have this style of practice shoe (in any brand, really) do you order a size up, or do you stay true to your latin sandal size?

I looked up the Ray Rose shoes and found the Solstice. But it's a leather upper - and so I'm not sure what that would be like to dance in - a closed shoe... a closed leather shoe. Does one wear little sockies on the inside? It's "antibacterial," but I am still thinking it's going to get hot in there. Are the insides fabric? I don't want to be sliding around inside the shoe.

So those are the styles I prefer. Any input into a practice/teaching/training shoe is appreciated!

MODS: I know there are 200 shoe threads and I searched with a variety of keywords. These questions didn't pop up several search pages in, but if this thread should be merged because I have lousy search skills, apologies and thank you.

2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Not similar to the styles you mentioned, but I'm loving the "ultimate classic" bought from dance connection dot com. I bought it because the two sides of the upper are completely separate, laced all the way, so I can loosen the front to avoid making my bunions worse. Various places sell this style (mesh sides); I chose dance connection because I could pick any heel height up to 2.5, so I got them to match the heel height of my comp shoes. Most of my dancing these days is standard, but I've happily worn these for social dancing in all styles.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I know the Supadance 1026 is good for wider feet, while the Heather is better for narrower feet (though heel can be wide for some). I don't know about the others mentioned.

4. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

In Supadance, I'm a half size smaller in a latin shoe than a closed toe shoe (practice shoe or smooth/standard). If I wore the front of my latin shoes short, it could possibly be a full size difference. Anywhere you can try on some shoes? Comp vendor, etc?? That's always easiest if available.

5. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

I'm in the half size smaller for Latin camp too, and my practice shoes are the same size as my standard shoes. I would think 1 1/2 sizes up from you latin size would be way too big, 1/2 to 1 size up would be better I expect.

6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Yes, generally speaking, Supadance and International open toe shoes are 2.5 sizes smaller than the American size, while closed toe are just 2 sizes smaller.

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Well, I like the Sienna by Freed for teaching and social dancing. They are not the most attractive shoes but they are amazingly comfortable. You don't need to worry about length or width because you can tighten or loosen them throughout the day. The heel is wide enough to give you a feeling a stability yet is tall enough not to make you feel back weighted or squatty and short.