Ballroom Dance > Quick Telemark from Same Foot Lunge (Waltz)

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Mar 3, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I want to know your opinion on the lady's footwork for this step. Assuming the timing is 12&3, we have:
    1 - Lady LF Forward reverse pivot(no step for man)
    2 - Man LF forward. Lady RF back
    & - Man RF side, Lady closes LF to RF
    3 - Man LF fwd and across in PP and CBMP, LadRF fwd in PP and CBMP

So the main question for me here is should the lady do a heel turn or a toe turn?
    A. Since it is a telemark, and the lady is closing her feet, she should do a heel turn.
    B. Since it occurs on the beat of 2 and uses a syncopated rhythm, it should be a toe turn.

So A or B?
    Any situation where you might change your answer? ex. different rhythm

2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

3. DanceMentor

4. snapdancer

Is the same foot lunge more like PP or CP?

5. DanceMentor

I think you could say that it is more like Promenade position. I also feel that there is rotation that precedes the Telemark unlike the closed position that preceded the first Telemark in the video. So I tend to favour the lady doing a toe turn. In this particular situation there is another instructor who is taking the other Viewpoint. So I wanted to see if there was support for one way or the other among some of the standard dancers here.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I think B, though it may depend on your timing. The timing I'd use is 1&23, because using 12&3 loses the character of the telemark. Anyway, the former timing doesn't really leave enough time for all the foot actions that'd be required to pull off both rise, lowering and heel turn.

DanceMentor likes this.
  7. DanceMentor

Yes, me too. I want to rise as I exit the same foot lunge, not wait until the end of 2. That being said, I can't say that A would be wrong. I think it is workable.

8. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

I do a heel turn. The same as is in Hearn's book A Technique of Advanced Standard Ballroom Figures page 48-49. At least I intend it to be the same! He has a note on page 221, about the QOT action, following the Same Foot Lunge:
    Man: Transfer weight to LF (&). Rise on LF (2) RF to side as 3 of QOT (&)
    Lady: Transfer weight Fwd to LF (&). Continue from 2 of QOT (2).
    Rhythm: W &2&3.

9. DanceMentor

I'm certainly open to trying it. Would love to find some videos of it. Thanks for mentioning the reference in the book.

10. snapdancer

11. DanceMentor

As I watch this one it seems to be neither A or B. Alesia steps first on the toe of her RF (entering as a forward step), and then settles onto the heel. She closes LF to RF and exits like a normal heel turn.

12. SwingingAlong

I find people who don't reference original sources irritating.

The original video which inspired me to ask to add a same foot lunge/QOT to my routine was this one. The exit is different though. And I'm sorry but a video of my attempts would need to go in a new comedy thread:rofl: huge fun though:dancingbanana:

13. SwingingAlong

I find people who don't reference original sources irritating.

The original video which inspired me to ask to add a same foot lunge/QOT to my routine was this one. The exit is different though. And I'm sorry but a video of my attempts would need to go in a new comedy thread:rofl: huge fun though:dancingbanana:

14. vit

vit Active Member

Main difference seems to be rise/fall, that is different than in usual heel turn. She does the 2nd step with lots of swing which is obviously needed to get around. She is about highest (talking about distance from center to the floor) when her LF is somewhere midway towards RF and then maintains about that height during the heel turn (or perhaps gets slightly lower).
    When entering from SFL, another difference would be starting from speed zero (unlike here), so it will probably look slightly different again

15. DanceMentor

After a little experimentation, I definitely like the method offered in the video with Mirko and Alesia the best. It offers more stability that a toe turn (which I first suggested was my favority), and doesn't require the feeling that the man must stay down so that a heel hurn can be led on the 2 beat.