Ballroom Dance > Rhythm and Smooth at Blackpool 2017

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dlliba10, Jun 2, 2016.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

HOLY HECK PRO SMOOTH AND RHYTHM BEING INTRODUCED AT BLACKPOOL NEXT YEAR!!!

s2k, MaggieMoves, theAnnelis and 2 others like this.
  2. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I wonder how quickly Smooth and Rhythm will spread throughout the rest of the world now that it has been added.

s2k likes this.
  3. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

"Introduced" - does that mean as competition divisions?

4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I wasn't listening too closely to the announcement, but that's what it sounded like! They had smooth at one of the pre-blackpool competitions this year too.

5. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Yes! According to Sammy Stopford, "the first ever Blackpool British Open Professional Smooth and Rhythm Championships."

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

And pro-am will debut on Tuesday next year.

Sania and MaggieMoves like this.
  7. Today on DSI TV, Sammy Stopford announced,

"[W]e're going to introduce the first ever Blackpool British Open Professional Smooth Championship, and that will also be followed by the Blackpool British Open Rhythm Championship..."

There has been no word on whether there won't be Amateur (Youth, Adult, or Senior), Amateur Rising Star, or Professional Rising Star.

8. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

How many extra days are they adding to the festival?

Joe likes this.
  9. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

How will they judge these divisions I wonder? The International styles have accepted technique books, guides, exams, etc. What about American styles? Is there even an agreed upon technique for Rhythm?

10. Becca

Becca Active Member

They shouldn't need to add any days to the festival - there is so much empty space throughout the ten days as it is, and way too many really long breaks in between all the rounds. There is also plenty of time when the ballroom is closed to the public between the early morning qualifiers and the afternoon first rounds. It makes sense to fill all those gaps with something. Blackpool needs it!

GJB likes this.
  11. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

So.. do you think after 90 YEARS, they may have come up with some techn. ? :rolleyes: .

To my mind, it's more about WHO is going to Judge the events..

s2k likes this.
  12. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Of course I think they have come up with some technique. Is it well known outside the U.S.? And is there a consensus?

Yes, that was part of what I was getting at... who outside the U.S. is trained to judge these styles?

s2k likes this.
  13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I for one, am. And there are a few Intern. style judges, who have spent many years,( some of whom are English ) living, working and training Amats and Pros.

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

There are many US pros, who are already World Class Adjudicators, who have come from American Style. Anyone of them can be invited. Bob and Julia, Eddie, Forest and Suzy, Michael and Toni, David and Olga and Theresa, Rosendo, Kloss, Kosovich, Panatellos, Not to mention people like Gary and Diana, Dustin, and Charlotte who may not have competed in it but are training the everyone...

These people already have the necessary WCD qualifications. And if they aren't already judging overseas it is because there have been no American style events to judge outside of North America.

This has been in the works for a long time from the McDonald family. They haven't been setting up the system only to have a crappy panel. I am sure the judges oveseas can still tell quality from crap. Although it will be fun to watch the results shift, due to judges that don't immediately know the average placements of the couples attending.

ajiboyet, Sania, j_alexandra and 5 others like this.
  15. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Looking forward to who will be judging. :)

j_alexandra likes this.
  16. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I've heard. My pro already was asking be about it.

Might be a bucket thing to check off, finances aside.

The prices are about what I'd expect... about 65 USD per entry and almost 300 per championship. Some chain studios are more expensive.

theAnnelis likes this.
  17. Dancing Irishman

A lot of the panel's already familiar with the style - Shirley Ballas is a pretty big fan of Smooth, at least based on her comments during a workshop I attended.

Also, they could fill some of the required 25-minute gaps between rounds with rounds of another style, at least in the short-term while the smooth and rhythm events aren't drawing giant fields (I'd guess no more than maybe a round of 48 next year for Smooth, 24 for Rhythm). Yesterday evening had the single ballroom formation team, but otherwise there was nearly a half-hour of downtime between each round of the open pro latin. It left time for some cool interviews (always love hearing Bryan and Carmen talk shop) but there was still a ton of dead time (even after the 5 minutes needed to sweep up all the feathers and rhinestones).

18. Dancing Irishman

Or even the judges who are willing to say "screw the consensus, I'm marking what *I* think is good dancing." There was an English amateur couple that jumped from the quarters to the finals this year in Latin (blanking on the guy's name, her name was Zia).

Sania and Larinda McRaven like this.
  19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm not surprised. And goodness knows that travel costs will be the bigger difference between it and an major US-based comp.

I have to say. I turn 40 next year and had been serious considering seeing if I could swing USDC in celebration. This may just be another option. :D

20. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Dance-forums group meet? :cool:

Maybe I'll make up my mind about a Latin dress by then.

ajiboyet and Sania like this.