Swing Discussion Boards > Videos > Rip it up 1956

Discussion in 'Videos' started by opendoor, Mar 26, 2017.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Sorry if someone asked this already before, but how would you call the dance style (of the majority), perhaps in respect to the differences in american, european, or international perception?

2. ralf

ralf Active Member

I'd call that Lindy Hop, with adaptations for the musical difference (rockabilly instead of big-band swing). Steve Pastor might call that very early West Coast Swing, though there's no obvious slot. The aerials are definitely standard Lindy performance moves.

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

"We" called it R and R. The content in this clip, is a mixture of " Bop " and ECS . The aerials, were seldom seen in social settings .

Hard to believe that, the Jive emanated from this !!

4. opendoor

So the question is, what is "Bop". And please correct me, I thought that ESC was not a wild living thing but a ballroom creation?

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Damn that was awesome. Those are some brave dancers. Especially the ladies. Major air on some of those moves !!!

6. opendoor

7. ralf

ralf Active Member

ECS is indeed a creation of the ballrooms, but it escaped into the wild :). Most Lindy Hop scenes teach ECS/6-count (often single-stepped instead of triple-stepped) at their pre-social intro lessons, since you can learn enough to have fun for the evening in an hour or even 45 minutes.

"Jitterbug" has referred to a variety of dances in different times and places, often but not always Lindy Hop (locally, single-stepped ECS is referred to as Jitterbug). It's a reference to the wild enthusiastic behavior of many early swing dancers compared to staid ballroom dancing.

opendoor likes this.
  8. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

ECS, is somewhat of a hybrid ( as are most social dances ).
    The injection of Lindy turns for ex. and several other moves, are imports from other sources, that have established themselves as foundational movements. in ECS.

"Bop", actually "Bebop" to be precise, is the name given/used, to the style in the vid .

The US servicemen in WW2, was the first UK intro . in that style,( that's how I learned ) that the "Brits" copied, with the end result becoming Jive .The US took a more "gentle" route with their "swing" versions ..

It's worth noting that, genres develop change primarily, because music tastes change .

The BR world did popularise the swing genre, and modified things, so that it would become more acceptable to the general public .
    The AM studios, which many dislike, are largely responsible for its emergence/ development, thru weekly TV shows in the 50s.

Steve has written numerous articles on the subject on this site, which I suggest to anyone, who may be interested in origins, for greater detail .

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    opendoor likes this.
  9. opendoor

Thanks for all of your replies !

10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

For those who don't know, Joe Lanza aka Black Sheep aka Uncle Joe is in that clip. You can find his posts about it here somewhere.

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Based on searches of newspaper archives, Lindy Hop did not become really popular until the very late 30s very early 40s. Shag was the dance of the young, college age demographic, and they were mostly the ones who were tagged as jitterbugs in those pre WWII days.

Earl Barton was in both of the Bill Halley movies. He dances with Lisa Gaye, and Gail Ganley in the two different films. Barton was a professional dancer and choreographer (he danced in 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and had a long career.) To my eye, Barton dances West Coast more so than the others in the film.
    Music #2 for WCS was early rock n roll, not blues.

opendoor likes this.