Salsa > Salsa on 2 for Salsaonone?????

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Salsaonone, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

So I have always danced salsa on 1, that is what I learned....and it was good....last night I decided to try salsa on 2...I had never tried it, at the same place where everyone dances on 1, and I thought how will I be able to do this? After finding a friend who agreed to try to follow on 2, I went out on the dance floor....and starting to count the beat 1..2...3....4..1...2...3...4 out loud and over and over and over again (in fact throughout the entire dance)....and then started very cautiously to skip the 1 beat and break forward on the 2....then back on 3 and back on 4 pause on 1, back on 2 forward on 3 and forward on 4.....tried the basics for a little bit (was at a salsa club so the live band plays each song for like an hour...ok maybe 8-10 minute songs....)and noticed that it was working ok....everyone once in awhile I or my partner would slip back into one and then in unison we counted outloud (louder than normal) until we were both back on2....then I noticed that it felt EXACTLY the same as on 1...so throwing caution to the side I started to go into more complex moves (anything is more complex than the basic. :wink: )....and while still counting outloud the beat, everything worked as if it was on 1....and soon we were dancing as if it we had danced on 2 since the beginning of time and off to the races and doing whatever moves I could think of, with the only exception of us counting to make sure we stayed on the 2 break....i was actually kind of shocked...I thought on2 would be a whole different world, and maybe it is and I didnt catch it, but it was not a huge leap from my dancing on 1.....Of course, i was concentrating alot more on staying on the beat, so maybe what makes it feel different was lost in my concentration.....but that made me feel alot better about dancing in the world outside of arizona where most salsa is on 1.... :p

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

3. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I guess that's kind of a good way to get a little bit of an idea of how it is, but trust me it's not quite that simple :wink: If you get the chance just sit and watch two experienced mambo dancer move.

4. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

Fine, ruin my experience... :( ...j/k....however, I have no idea where anyone dances mombo in the phx area....and while I have heard mombo and salsa are different, there cant be that much difference between salsaon1 and salsaon2....is there??

5. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I didn't mean to ruin your experience, just trying to get across that the difference is a little more substantial.

6. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

I have big problems in the on2 style, but I got a few ladys to practice with.

I don’t mean to ruin your experience either. But what you describe sounds like you just skipped the one beat, and moved the timing one point back.

To get the different on2 feeling, you still have to break on 1, and then go back with your right foot on 2. The pause is still on 4 & 8, but you don’t have your feet together, and is more like hovering over the pause.

My problem is the leading thing. To get this working what you lead on 5 normally, you now have to lead on 1. This is one beat before my feet get to the normal position, so this mess up with my body memory of the timing. But I’m working on this, so I hopefully will be able to dance if I meet an on2 salsera or visit an on2 part of the world

7. Paou

Paou New Member

Excuse my possible ignorance... but.... surely whether you dance on2 Eddie Torres or "power2" (which, from what I gather, is the same as on1 but 2,3,4,6,7,8 )... the leads are in the same place for both... ?

I find it easier to do the latter given my strong on1 background... which completely negates the body-memory issue... and I find that mixing and matching a power2 lead with a ET style follow doesn't produce too-bad results....

I'll have a bit of an experiment when I get 'back home' to vienna... and post the results..

Maybe the follow is just compensating for it, but it's got me through the few on2 dances I've experienced - and seems a good way to transition to 'propper' ET style at a later date.

8. Vin

Vin New Member

salsaonone, what you are doing is what is called power2, a perfectly valid way to dance on2. The thing is that the more common way of dancing on2 is the Eddie Torres style. In this style what changes is the sequence of steps taken. You still step on the same beats as you do when dancing on1 but now the step you take on the 2 is more accentuated. the threads peach listed explain it.
    Congratulations on expanding your horizons.
    As for leading differently, translating moves from one to the other did not seem as hard as I would have thought. I just try and realize where the lady has to be stepping when I give her the lead in order for the movement to be correct. This seems much more portable in overall lead skills rather than concentrating on which beat you should lead the movement on.

My main issue when transitioning was muscle memory. I would often come out of a cross-body lead and start dancing on1 when I had entered it on2.

9. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

Is this what you mean for Eddie Torres style?? QSQP, QSQP??? that is totally different from what I know..If qsqp is right, then you break on differernt beats with each 4 count...that would be harder...will have to try it though! :lol: I guess from what people are saying, I experimented with power2....who knew?? hehe

10. aragonh

aragonh New Member

salsaon1,

Try to obtain a salsa timing track to help you out.
    This is a song in which a voice (I call it the Voice of God) counts out the beats. Some tracks count out all beats. Others just the 1 or just the 2.

Also, as youngsta wrote, watch some on2 dancers. Most likely, they used to (and probably still) dance on1. Ask them about their transitions.

11. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

I didnt even know they existed..I guess I will have to find some now....thanks..

That is the hard part, finding those who dance on2...I have meet some women from south american countries who say they dance on2, not sure if they mean power or torres style....but I talked with them recently and as followers they were trying to show me by clapping their hands the beat they hear when listening to salsa music, and had no idea about actually counting...which is perfectly valid, but hard to follow... :cry:

12. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Actually there is no pause in ET on2, your foot is traveling during the 4 and 8. That's why it seems much smoother than dancing on1.

13. tacad

tacad New Member

What? Is youngsta actually classifying different styles of salsa? :doh: What is this world coming to?

14. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I have no choice but to use the wordly labels for these styles to describe what I'm talking about :lol: :lol:

15. tacad

tacad New Member

:shock:

:lol:

16. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

Hmm, Im a little confused here...do you mean traveling as in not stopping at the middle point? as in a progressive basic?? Or is there something else, cause when I dance on1 or on2(power as I have been told) I dont do foward back together, its always forward back and back (travels past the other foot)...and then back forward forward( not together put past it) which I though was just called a "progressive" basic....let me know! :)

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Oh that's what it is? Progressive basic? I never put my feet together. Only time I have done so are in classes and when teaching people and it si sometimes easier to go this route. I dislike the feeling brought by putting feet together.

18. aragonh

aragonh New Member

Ask the "pure" Salsa instructors in your area about this. They'll be able to help out. I dont think the ballroom instructors would know what you're talking about (in fact, I dont even think they count an 8 count - they just count 1234,1234)

The best way to find out is to ask "pure" salsa instructors. They would know what you are talking about and would point you to people who dance on2. Ballroom instructors may have no idea what you are talking about.

19. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

That was what I was trying to describe by “hovering over”. Since there’s no step or taps on the 4 & 8 I would still call it a pause. But your description is more precise. The putting word on dance challenge again. :?

The good thing is I’m at least is doing something right when I work on the on2 thing. :wink:

20. Vin

Vin New Member

I agree there is still a pause when dancing ETon2. But you step through the middle.