Ballroom Dance > San Francisco/Bay area ballroom dancing info

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by rumba4me, Jul 14, 2008.

1. rumba4me

rumba4me New Member

Hi all! I just moved from NYC to San Francisco and have no idea what the ballroom dance scene is like here. I was very into the scene in NYC and feel a bit out of it from not dancing so I definitely have to start up again.

I have heard that there are some great places, just not sure where to go. I am looking for a standard partner (prechamp/champ level) and some information on good coaches I have not danced for about a month (packing and unpacking can do that to you :D) so if you have info on social dancing (Tango, west coast, salsa) I am interested in any info you would like to share.

If anyone has any insight at all, that would be so wonderful! I feel a bit clueless here!

Thank you soo much!

2. Laura

Laura New Member

You can start by digging around the USA Dance - NorCal web site at www.usabda-norcal.org . Also, come by the International Grand Ball competition the weekend after next, it's at that Marriott by the SFO Airport (you can find a link to the web site on the Calendar section of the NorCal web site). Since you're doing Standard there are several good places to take lessons with very good coaches, including Just Dance in Alameda (Anton & Lena Koukareko), Cheryl Burke Dance in San Francisco (Anton & Lena plus Tomas Atkoveckus & Aira Bublynete), Imperial Dance Club in Redwood City (Stephan & Denise Krauel), and Starlite Ballroom in Sunnyvale (Glenn Weiss). And as far as partners go...don't know your gender, how old you are or how tall you are, but plenty of people are looking (including myself, although I'm Novice & Pre-Champ level).

3. rumba4me

rumba4me New Member

Thank you for this information! I will come to the competition and check it out! That is exciting. I am female in adult A category and I would say on good day I am 5'5 1/2" ;).

4. Laura

Laura New Member

Welcome to the Bay Area and to Dance Forums!

5. Hi rumba4me, welcome!

I'd second Laura's suggestion of going to IGB. It's a great place to get introduced to the dance scene in the Bay Area.

Standard Dancer

6. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF rumba4me!

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

She is Adult.

8. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Bay Area, rumba4me!

If you haven't already, PM Lilly_of_the_valley for tango and noobster for salsa.
    Tango in San Francisco?
    Tango in SF/Oakland

For west coast swing:
    Rhythm St. Dance in Dublin (www. rsdance.com)
    2 Left Feet in Danville (www. twoleftfeet.com) - Arjay Centeno and Melissa Rutz teach here
    Kelly Casanova teaches at Allegro in Emeryville (www. allegroballroom.com) - I've heard good things about the Next Generation Swing Dance Party held here on the 1st Saturday of the month

Ballroom is missing from your social dancing list... :( Anyway, you're quite welcome to ask me about the social ballroom scene. ;)

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Aira & Tomas teach out of Starlite on weekends. I think they're also regularly at Imperial.

10. Laura

Laura New Member

That's the thing about the Bay Area -- a lot of the teachers teach at multiple locations, which makes it more convenient for people. (Wish my teachers would do this...oh well....)

11. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

As for salsa, look up John Narvaez and Liz Rojas with Salsamania.

12. swan

swan Member

Check ur PM rumba4me. And Welcome to the Bay Area!

13. rumba4me

rumba4me New Member

Thank you for all the info! I am going to go to the IGB comp. My name is Gayle...not sure how to introduce myself to you all there...but maybe I can ask around :)

I am going to venture out to Cheryl Burke studio this week and check it out. Terpsichorean Clod, thanks for the west coast and tango info! That was really helpful. You have a social dance scene for ballroom? That is awesome! NYC does not really have a strong one, so I didn't even think of that!

Can you tell me about the social scene?

Thanks!

14. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Great to see you here :)

15. rumba4me

rumba4me New Member

thanks :) how is everything? You look very pretty in the pic! love the blue.

16. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Thank you :) you will attend embassy? I hope to see you there

17. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

It's been a pleasant surprise to see all the nice floating floors at all the studios I visited so far including:
    Dance Boulevard
    Dance Spectrum
    Cheryl Burke (Mountain View location)
    I didn't have this luxury as much in Atlanta. Of the three I mentioned above, Cherly Burke and Dance Boulevard are the newest, but Dance Spectrum makes up for not being new with the number of pros there all the time.

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

It's been a while since I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, but Cheryl Burke's was already mentioned. Besides Mountain View on North Shoreline Boulevard (in the Peninsula, between San Jose and San Francisco), she as a location in San Francisco on 17th Street...

Not sure if the Starlight is still there in Sunnyvale--which is the city just south of Mountain view. (Not to be confused with Starlite.)

Perhaps someone can correct what I have posted here if I have anything remiss...

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

rumba4m4, also, not only welcome to Dance Forums! But welcome to the San Francisco area, which has so much to see and do. In the City--North and South and even East if you can make it over to Tahoe and Yosemite for a road trip...

20. Terpsichorean Clod

I didn't know they were floating. I think Joe or NielsenE said you can see the floor flex when you jump on a floating floor. I tried. :bouncy: Still couldn't tell. :oops: