General Dance Discussion > "Saturday Night Fever" Line Dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, May 20, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the line dance in Saturday Night Fever. I thought it might be a cool it might add a little spice to a hustle class by adding this line dance.
    Anybody know?

[added]The instructions are now listed in this thread

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Wow, is that stuff coming back into fashion? I recalled learning that dance 25 years ago! Unfortunately I don't recall the name. I know it had one, I just don't remember it.

3. Wes

Wes New Member

Linedancing is ace!

Hmmm....

Is Saturday Night Fever a film???
    You could always ask this on the message board at http://ub8.homepagetools.com/wesleycowie/ as most of the visitors are line dancers!

Wes!
    xxx

4. DanceMentor

Welcome to the Dance Forums, Wes!
    I did go and post a message there. If you are a regular there and you see some responses, let me know (in case I forget to check back).

I teach a dance class at a fitness club and I'm hoping to incorporate some authentic Disco line dancing, but I'm not sure where to start.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Besides the solo by Travolta, I think it was a "made for film" version of the electric slide???

Funny you mentioned this . . . I went to a local Salsa dance placetwo weekends ago, and they were advertising a "surprise lesson." Guess what they taught . . . . . . .? You got it!

6. DanceMentor

One of these days I'll find someone that can show me the dance. I'll bet it would be a great hit at parties if it's not too difficult to learn.

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

If it was the "electric slide," you should be able to learn that four-wall, four-count, four-move dance in 5 minutes. There are at least 20 to 30 moves on the fourth part - all with 4-count patterns, including hip-hop, running man, moon walk, floor dips, etc.

It's nothing more than a grapevine right (rolling or walking), a grapevine left, walk back 4 counts beginning with the R foot, and be-bop (kind of a bob back and forth) for 4 counts, turning a quarter turn on the 4th count - start again.

I ended up teaching some of these moves at that Salsa dance that I went to . . . after the suprise lesson, they again played the song. I then started doing these moves (I really don't line dance anymore), and some individuals wanted to know how to do them.

By the way . . . I'm no "kid." I just an eleven-year old how to moon walk, so he could also include it in his WCS . . .

8. DanceMentor

Hi Vince,

I know the electric slide pretty well. I've got a copy of Saturday Night Fever. When I reviewed the sequence they do seem to use the grape vine part of the Electric Slide, but they also do some heel clicks, hand motions and turns that don't seem to follow the Electric Slide choreography.

If I ever figure it out, I'll make a post about it.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hey DanceMentor,

It's been a long time since I've seen that movie. I do have it though.

You are correct about the "heel clicks" - I forgot about them. Guess I'll have to watch it again . . . . "OH NO!"

10. samba ajr

samba ajr New Member

I believe this is called the "Bus Stop". It can be done to most hustle songs (as seen in the movie). We even did it to "Thriller" for Halloween. I haven't done it in awhile, maybe it will ring a bell with someone else. It does involve a kick-ball-change, swivels, "chicken arms", and the Travolta "arm move" (but not necessarily in that order). :?

11. DanceMentor

Oh, cool!
    I have a book that goes over the "Bus Stop" step by step. I'm still not sure if I can get it from a book very well, but I'll bet there are plenty of people who know the "Bus Stop". Thanks for the info and welcome to the Dance Forums, samba ajr!

12. Yuri

Yuri New Member

Hello. I'm new here and honestly don't belong. I'm not really a dancer, I was just watching saturday night Fever on DVD, and saw the dance. Being the inquisitive guy that I am, I figured maybe someone on the net knows how to actually DO that dance. Years ago, a girl friend showed me it, but I couldn't remember. From the movie, it's too difficult to pick up. I was wondering if anyone else knew how to do it.

btw... I found this while searching, if that can help: http://www.country-music.ch/dancing/ldarchiv/S/satnightfev.htm
    I don't exactly know what some of those terms mean, so it doesn't help me very much :cry: . But maybe it will help one of y'all. And if you happen to be located anywhere StL, maybe you can show me in person?

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Not true at all Yuri! If you are interested/care enough about dance to have found us, you're one of us!

14. Yuri

Yuri New Member

Thanks, SD. But you've never seen me dance b4 :lol: :lol: :lol:

In reality, I used to dance at clubs and weddings and stuff. But a few years ago, I had back surgery. I still don't have all the feeling back in my right leg. So now, I'm restricted to slower/less-mobile dancing. Even then, I can do one or two songs before needing a break.

Oh well... you've gotta play the game of life with the cards you've been dealt. :roll:

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yup...life's 10% how you make it...and 90% how you take it!

16. Kittyirish

Kittyirish New Member

My husband knows it, and we used to dance it at school. I'll have him come on tonight and give you info if you want. Actually, he used it for his class and asked me to dance it with him. I was already planning the wedding! :lol: Kitty

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"Hi Kittyirish . . . welcome to the Forum . . ."

This topic has been around since May . . . thanks . . . "we're finally getting to an answer . . . looking forward to your husband's reply!

18. Kittyirish

Kittyirish New Member

Okay, he's home, and here we go. This will probably be realllyy long so please bear with us.
    It's not the Electric Slide.
    What we did in NY was this variation.

Steps to follow, no pun intended.Kitty

19. NYCsDancer

NYCsDancer New Member

Re: The Electric Slide

I choreographed 'The Electric' (see ric06379.tripod.com) in 1976 for Vamps Disco in NYC. The dance done in Saturday Night Fever is NOT The Electric Slide. It is a combination of steps from various dances of the time. Most of the dance steps out today are not correct - I have spent the last 28 years trying to correct the Electric Slide listings on the internet that showed an 18 step dance when it is actually a 22 step dance. The Bus Stop, which I taught at the same club, is shown differently on almost every site I have visited. Hope this helps. :p

20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Welcome to Dance Forums NYCsDancer!

For the uninitiated such as myself :lol: when you say "The Electric", is that the same as saying the "Electric Slide"?

If it is, any connection to Grandmaster Slice? Or are they two different things and I haven't been paying proper attention? :wink: