Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Secret Life of the Ballroom

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by UKTenDancer, Sep 10, 2017.

1. UKTenDancer

UKTenDancer New Member

Heads up for peeps in the UK. A new series starts next Sunday (17th September) at 8pm on Channel W called "Secret Life of the Ballroom". This show is produced by UKTV.

Unfortunately this show is not being aired on Terrestrial TV. You will need something like a Sky, BT TV, Virgin Media, TalkTalk TV subscription to see it.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I watched it . It was entertaining and, the teaching quality of those involved was eye opening. !....5 more weeks

3. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

sounds interesting. does anyone have an example of what it's all about?

4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I couldn't find anything on YouTube that was legitimate...

5. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

ah, looks familiar. there's a program here in japan that features a leader of a well known hiphop group in UK (destiny?) that teaches a group of non dancers to dance for an audience. very interesting idea. the trials and tribulations of people trying to dance hiphop.

6. tangotime

Essentially based upon the DWtheS ; there are 3 dances in each of the Latin and Standard. The couples all come from different towns and seem to have no restrictions on the content of each dance. A winner is chosen it seems after each dance, done over a 5 week period ( It was held in Brighton before an amateur comp ). No one had any previous BR experience .
    There was one strange guy who wore a HAT ! for the comp because he had shaved his head and felt embarrassed .That's the tail wagging the dog..
    it was fun to watch , and It was much closer to real life than TV shows about dance.

On Channel W 9.. Sun and Mon nites

7. Michael Bentley

Michael Bentley New Member

Hi guys - Mike here from Secret Ballroom - hope your all enjoying the show as much as I did taking part

8. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Best I can tell, only people in the UK have access to watch the show. I think the majority of the people on this forum are in the US.

When I used to watch "reality TV", I came to decide that it was exactly the opposite of that. What was your experience? Any on-air drama that was manufactured to keep it interesting?

9. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Hi @Michael Bentley your show looks fun to watch. I hope it comes to the US, or one of those amazony or netflixian thingies. Meanwhile, yes we want the inside scoop! Have you seen the A&E "reality" drama 'Montecito'? Some parts of that were real... some. ;) That made it more funny, knowing the characters. Tho I did not like how they pretended there was stuff going on that no way would ever have gone on. I guess when there's no real bad guy they have to invent one. I love that the poster photo is all gowns & suits. Is the show all ballroom, not latin?

10. Michael Bentley

The show was real - hard graft & doing normal life around practicing and doing the competitions - yes we did ballroom dances and Latin dances in uk Sunday circuits .

Not sure on US transmissions at the moment . It's only just started on the UK .

Mike

11. tangotime

From a Pro.. you all did remarkably well. To remember ; there are no losers in your group !..
    What you are experiencing is the same as multi students everywhere ( who compete ) who juggle with jobs and practice year in and year out .Plus those that do it for social pleasure .

I will say this to all of your group; I hope you keep up the learning process with local studios ( just for fun ) on a regular weekly basis if only at the social level.

12. tangotime

Last nite it was Tango..As I expected, it was found to be for the group far more difficult than the previous dances..
    I was somewhat surprised at the approach some of the teachers took with content given the time constraints .

Next week Samba..

13. UKTenDancer

UKTenDancer New Member

I wonder how many of the couples intend to continue on the Open Circuit once the TV series concludes.

For those on the other side of the pond there is some good info to be seen at twitter dot com / hashtag / secretballroom

14. tangotime

I would guess, 2 at the most..with more lessons of course .

15. Michael Bentley

You will be pleased to know that Donna and I are still dancing , I know Roberta is too.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  16. tangotime

Excellent !!..