Dancers Anonymous > Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

I just saw the "La La Land ". I thought it was extremely mediocre to be nominated for 14 Oscars!! The story is so repetitive, “What if: will go in line with many “twilight zone” episodes and Asimov’s theory, that if we change one little thing in the past, the whole future will be different. The dancing was really bad!! No comparison to “Artist” movie or older Fred Astaire movies. The characters reached their dream career wise, but had to give up their love as a price. Very repetitive in content. So disappointed with my expectations, so surprised with so many Oscar Nominations!

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

John wick chapter 2. Awesome

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Thanks for the HU, @at. I'll wait for it to hit Prime or Netflix.

4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I saw The Lobster last weekend. I still can't decide if I think it was kind of brilliant or kind of terrible.

5. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

So glad I am not the only one who thought La La Land was mediocre. I just don't get all the nominations????

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ermma Stone. Ryan Gosling.

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing Logan, which I believe comes out this weekend.

8. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

This. The singing and dancing wasn't that good either, except Emma Stone maybe. It just tried way too hard to be a musical and I know that this is supposed to be a homage to Hollywood musicals from the 50's, but I just didn't buy it. Everything felt so forced. I found Damien Chazelle's Whiplash to be far more engaging than this one.

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

Captain Phillips...saw it on TV...was rivoting

10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Logan! :)

11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

For some reason, I've seen a bunch of good ones recently.
    Midnight in Paris
    Hugo
    Arrival
    Fantastic Beasts -- which surprised me; I expected to hate it, and liked it very much

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

John Wick Chapter 2. Action packed.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Logan.....awesome!!

Purr likes this.
  14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

This is an old one, but wanted t pass it along.

Variety had a report that Jewel McGowan would be in "Night Upon Night." Well, she wasn't, but I thought the film, starring Ronald Reagan with Broderick Crawford who some of you might remember from "Highway Patrol" is noteworthy. Reagan plays a scientist who learns that he has epilepsy, which in those days was a lot less treatable than it is today. He moves into an isolated house on the coast in Florida. Just so happens that the woman who owned it was recently widowed and...
    It was a very thoughtful film.

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Wonder Woman!

jiwinco and Pu251 like this.
  16. Pu251

Pu251 Member

I've watched this movie :)

17. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

There's a dance scene in Wonder Woman - well sort of. At least I seem to remember laughing out loud when WW made a comment about how some folks "dance." (It was a small town!)(And, hey, I didn't think it was a "mean" comment at all, so don't go think that.) Well, come to think of it, there was another scene with dancing.

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

loved "Hidden Figures"

jiwinco and j_alexandra like this.
  19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Dunkirk...
    One of the best movies I have ever seen

20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Thought Dunkirk was ok, but not as good as other contemporary WW2 movies I've seen like Saving Private Ryan.

I'm sure Dunkirk was more accurate historically though.