Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Went to Star Wars with my 20 year old son yesterday. I enjoyed it, all criticisms, characterizations are correct, but it was overall a perfectly enjoyable if somewhat light-weight experience. My son and I were semi-outraged about different aspects of the movie/story line. I look forward to the subsequent movies and hope they deliver.

Love some of the new characters; lukewarm on the Resistance pilot.

Purr likes this.
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The best things about the movie were Rey, who made a strong female heroine, and BB-8, who was just the cutest little droid. I want to adopt BB-8.

Can someone please tell me why C3PO had a red arm?

RiseNFall and stash like this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Coz he lost it in episode 6

4. Mr 4 styles

Star Wars was awesome and the cameos were cool

stash likes this.
  5. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I liked The Big Short.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

:confused:o_O

Purr likes this.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Really? Star Wars: Return of the Jedi would be the movie right before it, in the correct timeline. I remember that C3PO was attacked by a creature who picked his eye sensor out on Jabba the Hutt's sail barge. And I remember that C3PO was perceived as a god by the Ewoks.

I think C3PO got blasted into pieces by a stormtrooper in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, and he was put back together by Chewbacca.

I don't remember him losing an arm. But then it's been awhile since I watched the movies.

8. Mr 4 styles

Perhaps my memory escapes me :confused::p:eek:

Purr likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

And it apparently does.. The force awakens is a thirty year jump forward from episode 6 so apparently parts are in short supply. Apparently a comic book is to be released to explain the event and tell us about the droid who gave up the arm so c3po could keep on going

10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Well, in the original movie (episode 4) he's got one silver lower leg so it's not surprising his arm got replaced with a different color.

11. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Seems George Lukas had an earful to say about Disney today. Evidently, he is not too pleased with their story line.

12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

From what I've read, his (now-ex-)wife was the unsung genius behind episodes IV and V (mostly in editing).

If we're talking about the same comments, it looks like he complained that the film was too similar to previous ones. Which is a bit of a stone from a glass house given the near-identical looming threats in Eps. IV and VI. And it's also somewhat ignorant of the nature of storytelling in general (there are only a handful of fundamental story archetypes).

Also, FYI, the interview with Charlie Rose (source of the regrettable "white slaver" comment) is a week old.

13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I think it was a good move for them to stick to a relatively recognizable story progression. It lets them set up the new characters, the new feel (because I love JJ Abrams and what he did with the movie, but it did have a distinctly JJ Abrams feel that was different than the feel of the other Star Wars) and let them progress from there with the next episodes. It gives a sense of continuity that will let them make more unique storylines later.

stash likes this.
  14. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

My mom and I just saw "Carol." I thought Rooney Mara was wonderful - and at times I would have sworn that it was Audrey Hepburn who was on the screen. I'm usually a Cate Blanchet fan, but she didn't really sell her character to me - and I kept getting distracted as to how someone who seemed so matronly (at least to me) could have a 4-year old daughter.

15. Mr 4 styles

Sharknado finally :eek:

16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Star Wars 2x, but really laughed with SIL at the "sisters" movie. Ahhhh past school parties!

17. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I'm still somewhat bored with American film. Mostly you see them just reworking old stories, because there aren't any new ones. What I find watching films from other countries is they don't always follow the typical narative:

good people encounter a problem or bad people
    good people almost lose
    good people win

Sometimes in Japanese or Chinese films (maybe other places too):

good people or encounter a problem or bad people
    great trials the good people go through
    sometimes the good people lose at the end

But there are still beautiful stories and lessons.

I watched this one last night
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111786/
    [​IMG]
    Great movie about teenagers in Beijing during the Cultural Revolution.

Also what is great about foreign films is you see what other people's lives are like that are quite different than your own. You start to realize there is a culture that has been somewhat pre-packaged for your consumption, but definitely not a reflection of all that life and the World has to offer!

18. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Brooklyn

19. Mr 4 styles

Zoolander 2

MaggieMoves likes this.
  20. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

You are lucky you have one !! :rolleyes:

Mr 4 styles likes this.