General Dance Discussion > Smooth Dancing and Diet

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by VronskyWasSoVain, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Lately I've been doing more smooth dances like waltz and foxtrot where frame is more important than fancy footwork. When I was focusing more on hustle and swing and cha cha which are faster, I noticed my caloric intake wasn't that high. These dances felt more like cardio workouts.

Lately I've been gaining a bit of weight and having more cravings in general for carbs. Do the smooth dances which require a lot of rise and fall as well as keeping and maintaining a frame expend more muscle? I notice my body is more tired after practicing waltz.

So maybe that's why I'm eating more these days. I've also began sleeping on the floor in order to improve my posture. Oddly, a mattress now feels less comfortable.

I'd like to not gain weight before my dance performances next month though. Any advice?

2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Is your tiredness after the waltz a general tiredness? Or is it a specific tiredness? When you do a new type of activity, whatever it is, you may start using muscles you didn't know you had and these muscles need to be conditioned. Another possibility is technique. If your shoulder muscles are tired after a waltz, then you're using the wrong muscles to support your arms -- have your instructor show you how to use your lats to support your frame.

I would not consider dancing to be an extreme sport at the level we do it (world championship dancing is a different matter). While moderate dancing can help control weight, control of caloric input is necessary, a candy bar or two can counter the caloric loss from a session of dancing. You need to look at your diet.

I have lost a significant amount of weight in the past, and here are some thoughts I have:
    -- Extreme dieting only works in the short time. Typically people will suffer during the diet, and once they achieve their weight goal they go back to their old habits which caused their excessive weight so they go back to it.
    -- It's better to make incremental changes to your habits that you can live with permanently. Your weight may not come off as fast but it will stay off longer.
    -- Drink more water, stay hydrated. The body doesn't always distinguish hunger from thirst well. If you think you're hungry, drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes to see if you're still hungry.
    -- Eat better food instead of junk food. I think it better to eat whole vegetables, fruit, and grains. For instance if you drink a glass of apple juice your body will quickly elevate your blood sugar which then gets stored as fat. But if you eat a whole apple, your body will digest it more slowly and the bulk will stay in your stomach so it will be longer before you're hungry again.
    -- Eat more meals, but make them smaller -- snack sized. Take some whole fruit, apples, bananas, and have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack. Make your lunch smaller and then use the extra time to exercise moderately by just walking the halls in your office building.

3wishes likes this.
  3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Smaller meals, protein snack in-between. Countable carbs, not junk. Try every 2 hours, keeps your metabolism blood sugar level. Make sure you are getting more potassium (tablets are available) than an average non-dancing or non-gym workout day. No caffeine (caffeine triggers hunger). No energy drinks (crash and burn from blood sugar rising and falling). Try a protein drink within 30 minutes of the end of your dancing or gym workout, this rebuilds muscle that was fatigued during any type of workout. Eliminate added sugar- sugar causes the body to want more, use stevia.