Ballroom Dance > Social ballroom in DC on Fridays?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Peaches, May 9, 2006.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OK, all you DC people out there...

Is there a fun & friendly place to go ballroom dancing on Friday nights? Or, alternatively, is there a web page with a calendar of lots of local events?

I know about DC Dance Net, but I can never find anything on it.

2. icering

icering New Member

3. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Dance Factory in Arlington, VA is popular with people that want to learn a few social steps and then have fun with them on the floor. They have 2 30min group classes (3 levels) on friday night. It can get very crowded though. Fun group of dancers.
    Bethesda Dance Center, MD; has a bit more movable space, at least the last time i was there. Fun group class before the dance, chance to meet your fellow dancers. Metro accessible, should you be inclined to use public transportation.

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

DuShor also has Friday dances, but I don't know anything as to the fun or friendliness factors.

5. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

You are in Hagerstown if I remember correctly. If so, then Baltimore should be somewhat equidistant to you as DC (via I-70). There is a college night this Friday at Promenade in Baltimore (right off of I-70) - it's usually very friendly and can be fun...:)

If you're at all into West Coast Swing, there is a dance near Dulles Airport in VA this Friday as part of a WCS/Country competition. The dancing is slated to go 'til 6am!! I should be there for the pre-midnight part at least:) Here's some info: http://www.danceeasterns.com/

6. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Went there twice. Only about 10-15 people showed up; which made for more breathing and moving room but not that many partners to dance with.

7. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I second the suggestion for the Promenade. A very friendly, social atmosphere.

8. Mark Herschberg

Mark Herschberg New Member

I thought Chevy Chase ballroom was the place to go? Or was that Saturday nights?

(BTW, I'm going to be down in DC in about 4 weeks and hope to get in some dancing.)

--Mark

9. skwiggy

Chevy Chase Ballroom is the place to go on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month. They have lindy hop there every Friday though that's pretty good, with a live band.

Let us know exactly when you'll be in town!

10. Peaches

Thanks for the ideas…really, I’m up for either Friday or Saturday nights, I guess.

Re: DuShor—the low turnout (and therefore limited partner pool) is definitely a concern, especially since I don’t ever show up with a partner.

Re: Promenade—I was thinking about it, but noticed that Friday nights are college nights. What about us post-college folks? And, how goes it for finding partners when you show up alone?

Re: Dance Factory—if it’s primarily beginners with just a few steps, I’ve got that where I am now and I’m looking for a bit more.

Re: Chevy Chase Ballroom—hmmm…sounds interesting… I think I may have been there for a swing dance—long room, mirrors along about half of one long side, wood benches opposite underneath windows, door & counter stuff at one short end, overlooks the street on the other short end, on the second floor of the building, parking garage underneath?

Swing isn’t particularly my thing—ECS/lindy I can take for the occasional evening, but WCS just absolutely hasn’t clicked for me yet.

Has anyone been to the ballroom dances at Alliance in Landmark Mall? I go there for milongas, but haven’t tried their ballroom parties…

11. skwiggy

The Chevy Chase Ballroom (CCB) 1st and 3rd Saturday is a college night too. Plenty of post-college people (like me) go to college nights. It does draw mostly a college crowd, but it's no biggie going and being one of the "adults" there. You'll just have to pay a few more dollars to get in the door than the college kids will.

Sounds like you've been to CCB before, yes. :)

Never heard of Alliance.

12. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Thanks... at some point I'll be able to show up. Lindy night, WC, or ballroom. :)

13. Egoist

Egoist Member

It's a good mix of kids and adults.

14. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

I agree. I go the Promenade very rarely (when I'm home from college and free from other obligations) but I've never ever found it short of partners of any age. College-age dancers, especially the UMD and UMBC teams, tend to lump together, but there is always a hearty partner pool. I always arrive partner-less, but always stay busy (thank heavens the water is free!!)

There's a good chance I might be heading up to the Promenade this Friday night....hope to see you there!

15. Peaches

Oooh, this Friday I definitely can't make it. (Now and again I try to visit with my non-dancing friend. I am her maid of honor, so I guess she deserves some of my time! lol)

16. liangjz

liangjz New Member

Unlike Chevy Chase Ballroom, the Promenade's "officially" announced college night does not actually correspond to what the students do. Sometimes the UMBCers(in my experience, dancers from that school show up more frequently than other schools) show up on Friday, and sometimes on Saturday.

Friday nights at the Promenade when the UMBC students don't show up tends to get quite boring. You may wish to get on the UMBC mailing list or look on their website to know when they go. Otherwise, Saturday nights is generally better than Fridays for the non-college-age-ish group.