Dancers Anonymous > Social Media and anxiety (Facebook, Twitter, etc)

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Feb 25, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've spoken with quite a few people who have recently quit Facebook, or stopped using it so much. I read an article recently about social media causing things like anxiety, eating disorders and depression, not to mention the prevalence of fake news. People are often exposed to unmoderated content, and they see horrible pictures, stories, videos and more. Often the point of the stories is to over dramatize because it leads to more clicks, likes, etc.

First, I wanted to you directly (whoever is reading this now):
    1. Have you considered cutting back on your social media usage?
    2. If you answered yes to #1, would you consider posting on Dance Forums a little more?

I think we have always had a fine group of people here, and while we have differing views, it is overall a good place. Because of its size, it is easier to make sure it stays that way.

While I post somewhat frequently, I also have been doing a lot lately to improve the site (hours and hours repairing broken links, programming issues, etc). I think the photo upload in the album is even working again!

Anyways, just an idea. I personally have almost entirely stopped using Facebook, and I am getting a lot more done in my like. I have been able to focus again on my dancing, websites, and my newest hobby, learning Chinese (took me a year but I am level 3 and can converse on a variety of topics).

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi DM, I think there isn't any big difference between Dance Forums and Face Book except the size. Either communities have ads, cookies, trackers, and either make it difficult to unsubscribe or resign completely.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I haven't cut back, but I do greatly control what I am exposed to....I have barely got 100 friends....I unfollow any people or sources that are disturbing to me....and I am confident that probably half of my friends don't follow me and I am fine with that....my time on facebook is really decompression time for me, some people respond, some people ignore...all good...I post what I care about

I have registered on instagram but don't have the first clue how to navigate it so I am never on there ...pretty much the same with linkedin...I don't really go anywhere else on the internet other than occasionally pinterest and that is mostly for exercise ideas

(edited to expand my comment)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

no face book no instagram no snap chat

only twitter and here:D:D:D:eek:

Purr likes this.
  5. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

no instagram, no snap chat, certainly no twitter.

FB only for very small group of friends and for organizations that I want to follow, and that aren't upsetting. E.g. local dance studios, nature photos, yoga group with uplifting messages, etc. I block any friend or organization that posts junk I don't want to see, whether it's upsetting, or simply a waste of time.

I like dance forums as it is generally pretty positive and interesting. I do wish there was a way to mark individual subforums read... e.g. AT dancer not interested in ballroom or vice versa, or if I don't want to read funstuff and inspiration or dancers anonymous that week, etc. (I make heavy use of "what's new" on dance forums to see what's been posted since my last visit, and it would be nice to be able to clickly declutter the new stuff that is not of interest. I also think it might reduce the ATers and ballroomers accidentally commenting on each others threads without realizing it... I have seen folks argue about things like "what makes a good follower/leader" or "how do I ask someone to dance" not realizing they are talking across totally different dance cultures.)

Anyway, thanks to the moderators and DanceMentor for all the time and work that goes into making this a pretty safe and positive place on the internet, and a place where we can actually talk about dancing!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  6. DanceMentor

I think we have more focus here on something specific that enriches people's lives, through reducing anxiety and increasing health through exercise. The overwhelming of our advertising is direct with small businesses that work specically with dancers in mind. It is not perfect, but with your help, and working together we are encouraging a healthy endeavor... Dancing! :)

Purr and opendoor like this.
  7. DanceMentor

Certainly the unfollow feature on Facebook is helpful. I use HelloTalk for my casual entertainment and learning. I have 2000 followers there (tooting my own horn) and have managed to become conversational in Chinese and Spanish is a lot better now too. The exposure to other cultures has been awesome.

Sania and fascination like this.
  8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Twitter - feed limited to a couple of local newspapers and local govt feeds. On my phone only for quick updates. I don't tweet.

FB - use once or twice a week to follow family and a couple friends and 3-4 special interest groups and for sale groups which have replaced Yahoo groups for me. Ignore some friend requests and/or unfollow. Rarely post. NOT on my phone.

Regularly follow DF and a couple other special interest groups that are not on FB, but occasionally fast from all things internet if possible.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I don't do FB or DF on the weekends, only during the weekdays. I don't want to be married to my phone, and certainly not on the weekend.

I've unfriended a number of people on FB, and unfollowed a number as well. That's been helpful for managing the account.

I don't have an account on Twitter, SnapChat or LinkedIn. I'm interested in LinkedIn and Pintrest (not sure how you spell this), but not enough to actually register at either site. So there it goes.

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I've unfollowed bunch of people on FB because their status updates weren't sending me to a good place, and just recently deleted the app from my phone to minimize my exposure even further.

I don't have Twitter, Linkedin or Snapchat, and I'm just figuring out this Instagram thing... but I do make heavy use of Pinterest.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The problem I see with facebook is that we KNOW we are being manipulated. We KNOW that facebook serves up and pushes posts and stories that are controversial and want to get us stirred up. They are making it controversial for their own gain. And we still return.

Personally, I try to only post ridiculously silly stuff anymore. Just because I want to lighten the mood. And I do love seeing all of my friends and family that are not accessible any other way. I have not unfriended anyone, but I know I have been unfriended for not jumping on some people's bandwagon, or for speaking out when I felt some were reckless or unfair in their choice of stories to share, or their opinions were simply too slanted and divisive. I did, before the election, unfollow a massive amount of people. Again not for their political beliefs but because their language and attitude was nasty. It was liberating to realize that we don't have to be dragged into TMZ knockdown drag out brawls if we don't want to.

I have a twitter and instagram but can't be bothered to use them. I rely on pinterest heavily as a way to gather my ideas for my halloween shows.

I use snapchat because it is silly and fun. AND THE BEST PART is when you look at your newsfeed page, like facebook, everyone's posts are there in one place. But unlike facebook, I can choose to open their post OR NOT.

But it is hard as a business owner to not use facebook. All of the students are on it, half of them contact me that way, I get lots of referrals on public pages, and new students look for dance studios there before they look in the yellow pages or even google anymore.

12. Larinda McRaven

noted.

13. Larinda McRaven

with the exception that we have a "quality control board" here. You can basically post whatever you want on FB, with the exception of death threats. Here if you cuss or gossip, spam, or are in general are an arse, you will get called out and possibly removed. When I think back to the sheer volume of aggressive people we used to have here on DF it is staggering. I still see them on FB and they are just as nasty and aggressive and alienating over there, and they can get away with it.

IndyLady, opendoor and raindance like this.
  14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

^ What she said.

15. DanceMentor

I am glad see that we share some similar displeasures about Facebook. I still have Messenger so I can speak with students/friends, but I have to say that not using Facebook is one of best things I have done in 2017. I realized how I was wasting a lot of time with nonsense too.

Loki likes this.
  16. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I admit I probably spend too much time on Facebook. I've only unfriended a couple people where it went badly (I quietly unfriended them and they came back on messenger and chewed me out for it) but I've unfollowed a lot of people. I've tried to keep the circle small (i.e. I don't have 1,000 friends) though it can be challenging as I meet more and more new people through dance. I am not friends with anyone that I don't know (or once knew, like in high school) in person. Like fascination, I'm pretty sure over half my friends don't follow me and that's fine. 95% of the content I post is either dance related (pics/videos of things I've participated in) or photos of my son, since my parents are out of state and only see him in person a few times a year at most. I do not engage in political debates even though I feel strongly about a number of issues, since no one's mind (including mine) is going to change.

I have a linkd in account but I don't really use it and I don't send invites to connect, I only accept them from other people. I do not have Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, or any other social media accounts.

17. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

I should probably clarify, I said I block people that post stuff I don't want to see, but I guess the proper term is stop following. (Real blocking is reserved for more extreme situations that I hope to not even run into.)

I am also more likely to tell someone in person that I liked their photos or something else they posted on FB, rather than hit the "like" button. Then I can actually talk to them about their vacation, kids, or whatever.

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I guess I would also add the following....FOR ME, and this is only my perspective, what anyone else posts doesn't cause me anxiety anymore than what they wear or how they decorate their home would cause me anxiety....maybe I have this luxury because I screen pretty carefully and have tight controls but, even so, when people post things I am not interested in (the same dog looking identically the same every single day, endless recipes for food I would never eat, requests of me to like and share orI don't love God, babies, or soldiers, politics I don't agree with), I either unfollow them or simply think "takes all sorts".....and I find it annoying/perplexing when people chide other people for how they choose to use FB...IMV, people can use fb how they see fit for what matters to them, and I can adjust what I see accordingly....

now, how much time is wasted is another matter altogether....on that count I completely concur

IndyLady likes this.
  19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I mostly use Facebook for:
    * Private messaging
    * Participating in groups. (Mostly space flight, auto racing, and local interest groups.)
    * Sharing photos and videos with friends.

I have a few friends on FB that I treasure. Friends that I love. Friends that post intelligent and thoughtful stuff. Snarky friends that make me laugh. Friends that post cool photos of interesting places and things. Those kind of friends, I treasure. Others I unfriend or unfollow.

I almost never look at any of that crap that's in the "news feed". I unfriend or turn off the feed from anyone who posts political rants, no matter which way they lean. I get enough of that in the real world; I don't need more of it in my entertainment. Most of those ads that FB inserts into your feed are clickbait; I ignore them. (If you see one that you particularly don't like, you can click on the arrow at the right, hide it, and then tell Facebook that you don't want to see any more like it. This isn't a complete solution, but it helps.) Also, always be running an ad blocker when using Facebook.

I signed up for Instagram, but I found that none of my friends use it much, so I don't use it either.

I don't use Twitter. The signal-to-noise ratio is very poor. And besides, I just don't see the point -- what is the use of a medium that is intentionally limited like that?

IndyLady, Purr and Loki like this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

To chat with the dwts cast....;)