Dancers Anonymous > Social Media and anxiety (Facebook, Twitter, etc)

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Feb 25, 2017.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I never really got sucked into the FB world until DH needed a marketing tool to reach the younger craftsmen of his trade. Then that was marketing. Then we sold.
    Personally, when DD moved to Texas it was the photos of her family that we shared, weather reports from our travel destinations and one group that I am a volunteer with. Our family is seriously spread throughout the world.
    We don't use any other social media, however, I use Dance forums as a resource, a venting tool at times, and other times a source that can just make me laugh and thank you Lord for no political posts as well as calling out those who violate the rules unlike FB. Would I post more to DF? Probably not, would I use FB or any other social media tool more, no. To me, it disengages us (DH) from our life and can be a giant time waste.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

The way I got on FB changed recently, and I started to see more posts by certain FB friends.
    I am dismayed by the vitriol I see regarding certain "topics," I'll call them to be vague.
    And that's all I have to write about that!

3. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

I do have Facebook, but I hardly ever use it and I never talked about my experiences as a dancer there, or posted any pictures of my competitions, outfits or any of that sort. I just never felt too comfortable sharing those pictures with so many people and among them people I don't necessarily consider my friends. I just didn't quite catch the idea of sharing so many pictures of your daily life with strangers. Plus, a lot of them don't have any idea of what's it like being a dancer, so I'm glad to have found this forum!

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

What, you don't want to provide potential ammunition to your FB frienemies?

5. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I've never gotten anything but positive feedback on the dance content I've posted. People know it's important to me and something I love to do. Granted, there are no strangers among my FB friends, there's something to be said for that.

Of course, everybody uses FB differently anyways, whether it's posting every little thought/action/happening ever, bragging, venting, lurking, to "oh yeah, I have a FB account?", so whatever works for you is the main thing.

6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I have not posted on FaceBook in more than a month. I scrolled through a couple of times, and after 5-10 minutes just seemed like a waste of time. I have plenty of friends who add content to the internet in various ways. I just find Facebook has become less and less a valuable resource. It lacks focus by design.

7. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I have used the unfollow feature more recently, applied to people who use FB as a platform for their political views or turn my newsfeed into their browsing history because they "Like" every page they read.

IndyLady likes this.
  8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Not necessarily saying you will follow the same course, but I went through a similar phase where I unfollowed many people and even made some posts by people I liked appear first. Soon after I simply stopped using Facebook on any sort of regular basis. I have switched to using hellotalk as my favorite social app. There I get to talk with people from all over the world who are there to improve themselves by learning another language.