Salsa > Song ID Thread

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by englezul, Dec 3, 2006.

1. englezul

englezul New Member

I heard this song a couple of times and didn't think of asking what song it was. Very groovy. Then I woke up with it in my head and I have to get it out. What song is this?? It features a "Si senor .... other words here" in the chorus.

2. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

It wasn't by Justin Timberlake was it? It's kind of a cool song, and there are a billion songs with that phrase in them, but I wonder if that's the one that you want.

3. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

Micaela?

4. englezul

englezul New Member

Justin Timberlake? Oh my.. :D No, it wasn't him. This is a salsa song, very on2-ish, not jazzy though. I don't remember other words.

The phrase was kinda like

Sii (break) senor (break)
    ta da (break) ta da da da (break) Da <- here are actual words that I don't remember but that follow this rhythm.

No, it's not Michaela either.

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Sorry Justin sang a song called Senorita. Was it a man or a woman that sang the song. I think that Los Lobos did something similar, and Gloria Estefan did something similar as well. ;)

6. englezul

englezul New Member

It was a man.

7. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I was thinking Estefan's "Si Senor!" from her CD, "Mi Tierra," ("Si, Senor! Es mi son") but apparently the OP is looking for a male singer. Oh well.

8. Josh

Josh Active Member

'cept.... that's not a salsa song. :)

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

What could you dance that to?

I wonder if I finally heard the song today on the radio. I swear it sounded like Justin Timberlake, but not the one song that I mentioned before. This was completely different. The guy sung up high then sung down low. It's sort of weird when you listen to it. And why do I have Justin stuck in my head lol? I need to change to a different radio station at work I think lol.

10. Josh

Josh Active Member

The tempo is way slow for salsa, and if you double-time it it's a little fast for salsa, it's a little slow for cha cha, and perfect for rumba. Of those three, I'd dance a cha cha to it if I had to pick, since it has a nice strong beat on every beat, even though it doesn't have a syncopation on 4& (there is one on 3&-4). Rumba just doesn't fit, and salsa doesn't either. But given a choice, I'd just hip-hop or booty dance to it. :wink:

11. alemana

alemana New Member

i've heard this song too, although i thought it went, "si, senorES..." i just did a quick google search but didn't find it. have heard it semi-reg at NYC socials, though.

12. tassel45

tassel45 New Member

I recently heard a great salsa song, and wonder how it is called.
    I uses crescendo-type increases in tension (and loudness) towards some very clever 3-beat breaks in the music throughout the song (4 or six times).
    It is *not* Celia Cruz - La Vida Es Un Carnaval, which also uses one (or two) breaks in the music (after about 18 seconds, so you get an idea what I mean). Any idea what it might be?

13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Thats like asking someone who lives in Wales, if they know someone called Jones..

There are thousands of songs that it could be .

14. tassel45

tassel45 New Member

indeed, a near-impossible question.
    The 3 second breaks in the music (with absolute silence) were very distinctive, though, and nothing I have observed in that detail in other things.
    But, I admit, it's not much to go with.

15. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I will check my " library " and see what I can find..( its a long task )

2 questions that might help..speed ? med.. med/fast.. fast

and any vocal?

16. tassel45

tassel45 New Member

Med-fast, lots of mostly male vocals which almost have a hall effect into the three second break.
    Most better salseros in Vancouver knew the song and stopped at the appropriate moments in the dance.

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So, I'm guessing a popular song - one that is played often - if many dancers seemed to be aware of the dance breaks. Can you ask the dj who might still have the playlist played and quickly be able to tell you the song?

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

tassel45...is it Valio La Pena by Marc Anthony? I didn't think of this at first because I would never play it as a dj. I've deleted it from my songs as it has become way too overplayed - if I don't hear it for a year or two I might start to like it again.

19. tassel45

tassel45 New Member

No, not that song, but thank you Sagitta.
    Hm, I tried posting here yesterday, but the post vanished, sorry about that.

The phonation of the refrain goes, roughly:
    bada barababababababaamor pause pause pause pause pause pause dienamenseee
    bada barabababababababa dienamenseee
    (the second time, the music plays straight through the previous pause.
    (wow, this looks riddiculous - I will have to make an audio file)

20. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca Member

Lebron Brothers - Salsa Y Control

maybe