Tango Argentino > Song Title Identification Thread

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, May 6, 2012.

1. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Oh, we can agree on that.

However a very high proportion of 'tango teachers' come from the performance or competitive world. What they peddle (and it isn't usually really teaching - too often they have no obvious aptitude or training for that) is of little or no use to the typical social dancer (ie most of us); and many find that if they want to start participating in their local tango dance community, they have to unlearn all those stupid moves and choreography, and to discover the dance from scratch.

Far removed from the idea of equipping students with the skills necessary for them to discover and develop their own style of dance, too much mediocre teaching is about a hard sell for the teachers' chosen style - dance like me, decorate like me, look like me, dress like me, talk the faux-tango talk like me, want to be me, keep coming, keep paying your $$$ -learn the only and true tango: mine.

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I'm not arguing too much with this post, however there are plenty of lousy teachers who aren't performers, so I don't look at whether they perform, or not, as a key deciding factor. What I really want to know if whether they can teach me something that I'm interested in. Basically that means, (1) they have useful information, & (2) they know how to present / communicate it to me.

For me, a key thing to use in judging a teacher who came from the performance / competitive arena, is whether they also dance well at milongas (where "well" is whatever criteria that is important to you). If the answer is yes, then it is worth taking a chance (to find out if they can communicate it in a way you can process). BTW, another criteria I use (for all female teachers), is how do I like dancing with them, and is their embrace compatible with mine. If the answer is no, then they do not pass GO.

I've (apparently) been very fortunate to have some teachers who have come from the performance field, who do dance at milongas, and BTW the woman has a wonderful, close embrace.

To be clear, I don't agree 100% with any one person, as I pick and choose which things like, and what I think works for me. However, I have seen some value in getting pushed out of my comfort level in classes, as I've found that striving to do really difficult movements, does make me better at the more limited steps I do at milongas.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  3. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

4. dchester

The Song is Nada Mas. It might be a late D'Arienzo version, but I'm not sure about that.

5. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

It is indeed D'Arienzo (with Mercedes Serrano) from the early 70's (I have it listed between '71 and '73).

6. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Recorded 20-Dec-71.

7. M. Bingley

M. Bingley New Member

This song has been haunting me for days. Can anyone help me? It goes like ...

Daaa dum dum da da dummmmm daaaaaaaadum dum daaaaa dum pop daaaa dum daaaa dum

Blue Two likes this.
  8. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

can you identify this one?

9. Xenophon

Xenophon Member

The song is Recuerdo, and it's a contemporary orchestra, but no idea which one.

10. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

thx Xenophon

11. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

who's version of orlando goni is this?

12. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Anyone know what year?

13. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

14. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

can you name this one from D'Arienzo's repertoire?

15. dchester

Nueve de Julio

16. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

thx dchester

17. poetas 84

poetas 84 New Member

Hello tango community .Any idea about this song .

18. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

They tell you right at the beginning of the video: Osmar Maderna - Fantasia en Tiempo de Tango

19. poetas 84

poetas 84 New Member

Although I looked for it I did not notice it.Sorry for the inconvenience.I thank you very much

20. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Who's recording of "Mi Dolor" is this?