Ballroom Dance > Sprucing up my Standard gown - sewing questions!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by musicbrain, Sep 18, 2012.

1. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I have no suggestions for you, but it reminds me of when my 30 year old ridiculously fit pro was helping me pick out dresses. He's great at it, but not necessarily aware of all concerns such as this. After I asked several questions about one dress on me, he, getting somewhat perplexed, asked, "what exactly are you concerned about?" Me: "Fat rolls showing on back." Him, after carefully checking it out under several different situations: "It's fine." Gotta love the guy.

2. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Girl, this struggle is REAL for me, too. In this case, can you find a nude leo to wear under this?

http://motionwear.com/boatneck-leotard-2110/

Discount Dance is a good place to search, too.

RiseNFall likes this.
  3. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Nude bodysuit underneath may work. I am thinking of the very lightweight ones they sell for ballet undergarments. Then you would not need to do any alterations to the dress.

Otherwise a small float attached near each shoulder and draping down the back could work.

RiseNFall likes this.
  4. bia

bia Well-Known Member

If a leotard, I'm wondering about black instead of nude. Either a simple camisole leotard in a fabric similar to the dress that scoops to mid-back (since your upper back looks fine), or a leotard with a mesh or lace back. (I'm not fully confident in this; I'd have to see it.) I could also imagine Joe's criss-cross strap idea across the bottom, either lacing or elastic straps.

s2k likes this.
  5. raindance

Straps may make it worse, depending on the arrangement. I like the low scoop leotard idea, to still show the upper back. Could work with nude, black, or mesh perhaps.

s2k and SwingingAlong like this.
  6. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Like this one? (I just image googled "mesh back leotard".) Though maybe too low.

136-Allegra-Leotard-Back-closeup-on-grey.jpg

wooh, Lioness and SwingingAlong like this.
  7. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Or maybe one float-like piece of chiffon, attached to both shoulders and draped like a cowl back?

wooh, Lioness and raindance like this.
  8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Oops, too late to edit -- @raindance, I just re-read yours and realized that this was probably what you meant. When I first read yours, I pictured two small floats, one from each shoulder.

Lioness likes this.
  9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I dreamed about this the other night and dream me thought about the leotard too!!

My concern is then that the upper back "keyhole" would look weird and out of place because it's too small.

I like the leotard that comes to a point...that's pretty cool.

10. Lioness

The difficulty with the leotard as well is that this is the front of the dress: the mesh is a big PITA that's for sure. 15050331_10209938953884596_1571464143_n.jpg

nikkitta likes this.
  11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think a short cowly float would be lovely.

12. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

waiting for Joe to say: "just wear it backwards..." :D

Lioness likes this.
  13. raindance

The ballet undergarment leos sometimes have low neckline, lowish cut in the back, and spagetti straps, which may work under that mesh top. You also might be able to trim the leo (e.g. drop the front neckline) so the parts in the way no longer show. It may take trying a few on to figure out if it would work.

The float option may be simplest, and give a cleaner look.

14. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Sheer black bodysuit underneath? One with a higher back so there's no keyhole opening at all…

Lioness likes this.
  15. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

By the way, the dress otherwise looks great on you!

bia, RiseNFall and Lioness like this.
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, that would solve one problem!

17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I would just sew a piece of nude mesh(or maybe even lycra) across the back like a control panel. It would only be two seams to unpick before returning it.

18. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

19. Lioness

Across the whole back, or just the bottom bit?

20. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I think I would put it across the whole back, to fill the big oval space. Not sure a smaller piece would do the job.