Ballroom Dance > Stretch Ballroom Shirt

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Hearts, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Hearts

Hearts New Member

Has anyone (guys) tried the stretch ballroom shirts? I'm thinking of purchasing one and was wondering if they are worth it. I know DSI and Sapiel make them. Any other vendors?

2. reb

reb Active Member

Welcome to Dance Forums!

You should be receiving plenty of good input - to help us help you . . . are you interested in this for Standard, Smooth, or?

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

are you talking about those one piece sort of body suit typed things that can go under a tailsuit? pro LOOOOOOves his

4. reb

reb Active Member

A word of caution - don't wear it under a vest where the arms show (for smooth) - there is something funny looking when a stretch shirt is worn that way. A pro wore one last night (and he's a very muscular guy), so it wasn't just a matter of skinny arms.

5. fascination

yea...pro doesnt do that...he only wears his with the tailsuit

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

i know some guys who love these.

I know Taka dance makes them

7. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

The Sapiel shirt comes with an attached collar, right? Do any of the other brands come with an attached collar? And do people prefer having the attached collar versus the regular detached collar?

8. callen

callen Member

I wear the DSI one. It does not have a collar built into it; I attach a plastic one. It's all white, which some people like because you can bleach it and not worry about colors running. I love the shirt, though sometimes the cuff gets stuck outside my tailsuit sleave when I'm not dancing; I just make sure it's not that way when I do dance.

I do not have a Sapiel one, but I have seen them. They have built-in collars. I didn't consider buying it because of the cost. Maybe it will come down now that there's competition.

Chrisanne has one, too. They call it something like "platinum stretch" shirt. The non-seen parts are of a platinum color (big surprise, huh?). It wasn't available when I was buying a shirt, though it was being advertised. I'm not sure about its collar.

Hope that helps,
    Christopher

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

A friend has a Sapiel one, and he says it's not the most comfortable thing he's ever worn because he's got a long torso, and there's not a lot of extra room for "the boys"...

10. fascination

lol, I'll have to ask about that

11. fascination

12. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Thought I'd resurrect this thread since I'm considering a stretch shirt and wanted to know if they were truly worth the cost and if Sapiel or DSI is the best way to go. Any other thoughts?

13. I have one. Its body-suit-ish without a collar and I have problems with the way its built below my waist. (The buttons like to pop open and lets just hope my pants don't split......for a 4th time.) :)

Otherwise I love it. Mine is by Crystal Clover (London). A friend has a Taka and loves it. But I really can't justify the extra cost when the regular shirts are almost 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

14. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

I didn't realize those companies made them. Thank you for the feedback. Has anyone used the Sapiel?

15. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Sapiel. Just got it today. I love it. Fits like a glove and looks awesome under the tailsuit. The "onesie" fit is a little awkward, but that's minor. The fit and not having to deal with dress studs and a collar make it worth the money.

16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Ah yes, the ballroom shirt "diaper".

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

SOunds kinda gay and personal, but mind if I ask chest and waist measurements, and if this is fitting you without being altered? Too many of these when I've looked at them, at leats with the measurements they list, seem like they're going to need alterations to fit properly, so curious since you say this is fititng you well. :)

18. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

I'm not comfortable with posting measurements here, but I will say that I tend to have a larger frame than many dancers and was concerned about the shirt being too tight. The shirt is certainly tight fitting, but comfortable, and under the suit one would never know that it's a stretch shirt. I would say that it feels like a tight long sleeve t-shirt. The maker of the shirt suggests that you order 1/2 a size larger (by neck) than you would normally. I ordered the usual neck size and it worked out just fine.

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Certainly understandable. Interesting on the half size larger thing, hadn't seen that before. Thanks Vcolfari. :)

20. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I have the Sapiel shirt and I can tell you that it is very uncomfortable to wear. It fits fine at first, but when I get into dance frame and start moving, it becomes very uncomfortable (Let's just say it doesn't hold everything in...).

I finally got tired of it and asked AD Couture to custom make one for me. It's a bit more expensive than getting it off the rack, but it should be a lot more comfortable.

I'll keep you posted when they finish it.