SWA companion pass for one year travel?

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by 3wishes, Feb 4, 2016.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Read an article about Southwest Airlines Companion travels free for one year pass today, after getting 110,000 points, this has been a hidden jewel for SWA since the late 80's. Does anyone out there have one of these or earned one?

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

nope you need about 50 one ways a year it good for road warriors not many others I get about 26 one ways a year and don't get close

3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

They'll also count sign up bonuses from the SWA credit cards by Chase towards companion pass (as of a year ago when I last looked it up) - look for 50,000 point sign up rewards and you will get a lot closer to it. The sign up bonus points and spending points won't count towards A-list statuses directly, though.

M4S, I'm assuming that you're quoting one ways at the lowest fare, right? I know my consultant roommate racked one up really quickly because they made the clients spring for Business Select (higher price and higher points multiplier - ends up being about 40 one ways to get it).

4. Mr 4 styles

yes correct if you do business select you can get there

I got the SW visa and still did not hit it that year :(

5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Ahh, that's a shame. If it was at least two years ago, you can cancel the card, reapply and try again! Chase has a 24-months time bar on earning signup bonuses for the same card, not sure if their model also tries to stop people who cancel and immediately reapply for a given card.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

no worries I don't need a companion pass the mrs is A list also and we use our points mostly for friends to come visit us

7. 3wishes

Hmmm, so if you use the SWA credit card for their "partner" vendors those point don't count then? Just the flights and such?.

8. 3wishes

Ont airport is right here and it is a great place to catch SWA. if DH knows he is flying for free, he's great about going along with me, which is not often, those here at DF who know him, know how much he loves the road and driving. Me? I would rather spend a lot of time where we are exploring a region than spend a lot of time driving to get there and back, for the most part. Jet Blue use to offer a "Fly all you can in September pass for 600 bucks" but that doesn't happen anymore. It's all in the math of getting that pass, lol.

9. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

We moved into a new home and put everything we could on that Southwest card. We earned the pass and it's great. One thing I love about it--- if you use points for your flight, your companion still flies free. So we have taken trips where the airfare was just the cost of the security fee. Southwest is the major player in airports that suit us, so it works for us. It is difficult to sustain, but we are going to enjoy it as long as we have it. I just wish they flew to Hawaii!

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  10. 3wishes

THEY do fly to Hawaii, but it is a seasonal flight path, as they have to bid for the route a year in advance. from Ont they fly to Maui. Once a year for about a month.

11. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I did not know that!! I will have to call and get more details! Thanks, @3wishes!

12. 3wishes

Southwest was recently awarded 4 gates at Long Beach airport. Jet Blue is still major player at Long Beach, but this could be really great for me! Long Beach is such an easy airport.

13. 3wishes

Met a gent on the SWA flight home from BOI. HE has the actual companion pass by SWA. Then again, he collects the gold that is salvaged and mined from all over the USA, telling me he flys so often that he has the crossword answers for SWA memorized and completes it in less than 2 minutes. Gave me good tips on reaching the points requirement as well as - his wife in Rhode Island, seemingly always wants to "go" somewhere the moment he arrives home from his travels, then he laughed, blessing the companion free for a year pass. Thank you sir, wherever it is on SWA you are this morning.

singndance likes this.