Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > SYTCD stage-vs.-street

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Cue music.

I smiled more during the first show last week than I did during the whole season of DWTS. I hasten to add that I really enjoyed this last season of DWTS, and managed to catch to the last two nights even while staying in a national park.

Stage vs street?
    I wonder how much ballroom there will be. Even less than the previous seasons?

I see they are back to "Come and get your ticket to Vegas!"

2. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I haven't watched it yet, but someone I know who is a ballroom dancer tried out and the producers had close to zero interest in casting ballroom dancers. :/

3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Bummer, but it makes sense from a marketing strategy.

4. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Kinda...wonder why is it that ballroomers don't do well on SYTYCD, but DwtS is so freaking popular.

5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Because DwtS, to some extent, celebrates a totally different thing than competitive ballroom does. Quickly learning showcase choreography, setting it to often poorly phrased music, and performing it larger than life with TV close-ups are nearly the antithesis of competitive ballroom (at least within the space of dance performances). And on SYTYCD, being a great ballroom dancer hasn't been a recipe for success, but being decent/good with strong cross-training or stage presence led to great success (let's be real, Witney, Lindsay, Tanisha, Lacey, Chelsie, and Jenna all can't hold a candle to Iveta from a ballroom dancing perspective; but they had the PYT factor and cross-training outside of ballroom - which I believe is quite common in the Provo/Orem, UT, system - to carry them much, much farther than Iveta once the top 20 portion started). It's tough for ballroomers, who mainly train to be appreciated by those knowledgable about the genre, to show excellence in a style that is much more trick-heavy than a typical ballroom competition routine (while learning it in much, much less time than a typical ballroom dancer is able to).

Loki likes this.
  6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I've watched some of this season's tryouts. I've never actually watched the show before, but it's reinforced just how rare it is for me to really enjoy contemporary. The girl who was there with her fiancée, for example, did absolutely nothing for me.

I'll say that I was seriously impressed by the lady who did the routine to Fever though. She was pretty spectacular.

7. Steve Pastor

The highs AND the lows, of both performance AND attitude, are a major part of why the auditions are some of my favorite episodes each season.

While DWTS kind of has a built in fan base, the fans of the "stars," or at least people who know who they are, SYTYCD dancers, being pretty much complete unknowns, don't bring anyone to the show.

8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I've caught some of the audition shows so far... there have been few standouts for me, and a lot of 'okay'.

I'm not sure if I will watch the actual competition... one of my favourite parts of this show in the past, and the reason that I watched it (as opposed to DWTS, which makes my eyes bleed) is to see the trained dancers working in different styles. In past years, I feel the show was kind of saying "dancers are dancers". As in, no matter their style, look what they can do, and how versatile they are, and the amazing moments that they can produce. [Well, and because some of the choreo is amazing :)]

The whole which-type-of-dance-produces-better-dancers concept this year really doesn't appeal to me.

SDsalsaguy likes this.
  9. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Still working through week 2 from the DVR...

Loved loved loved Nadia (street dancer) from week 1. I actually video-ed her audition on my iPhone for future reference. That was awesome.

A lot of the contemporary/jazz is mushing together for me. There have been a handful of auditions that I thought were mediocre and then the judges gushed over them. Hmmm.

And I'm not a huge fan of animation, though seeing it done poorly helps me appreciate more when it is done well. I prefer more traditional, old school, hard-hitting or krumping hip hop. Frankly, other than Nadia, my favorite street performance was when the guy from Detroit brought his students on stage to perform after his audition. They were far more captivating than many of the prior auditions.

Hoping that maybe they're just saving the ballroomers for later (don't crush my dreams just yet).

theAnnelis likes this.
  10. Dancing Irishman

They're still having trained dancers work in other styles, right? I thought the point of this year was just to have a different way of delineating the two cut each week (instead of 1 man, 1 woman it's now 1 stage dancer, 1 street...I think). I'll definitely not be watching any live, but definitely will be hulu-ing it.

11. Steve Pastor

Yeah... I'm really curious, too, about how this will play out.
    So I looked around.

Nigel
    At the end of the day, we’re creating a Top 10 of stage kids — and stage includes everything from ballroom to tap to contemporary, basically formal training — and [a Top 10] of street kids, which breaks down into the different hip-hop genres, street salsa, street tap even, street tango. They won’t have to do any other form of dance other than their own for the whole first part of the program, going through Vegas until we get our Top 10.
    Q
    Once we’ve got the Top 20, will the Stage and Street kids be paired or dance together?
    Nigel
    It’s not just going to be partners now. It’s going to be threes, fours, two Stage one Street. It’s totally open to anything and everything that we can think of. It’s much easier for us to look at dancers in groups, to be able to say, “You let your group down” or “You were fantastic. You stood out.”
    … I just think we’ve got an awful lot more of a playing field without rules now, and let’s just experiment.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/so-you-think-you-can-dance-nigel-lythgoe-120273068120.html
    by Breanne L. Heldman

Good Read if you are into the show.

12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

This is the part that I'm not loving... but maybe the show will prove me wrong.

IndyLady likes this.
  13. Dancing Irishman

Interesting! I really like that they're getting away from just duets, since we've played out just about all the "couple in love" tropes ad nauseum.

Interesting thing I notice in Nigel's interviews, though. Despite contestants being 18 at minimum (for contract reasons etc.) they're always refered to with juvenile language, i.e. "kids", "boys", "girls", etc. While it's not necessarily bad (I'm 24 and still think of myself as a kid sometimes), I thought it was interesting given the kind of expectations it may set for the contestants (i.e. that they will act younger and less mature).

I was curious how much of a shake-up this would be...holy crap the past couple seasons have been light on "street" dancers! Seas. 11 had 2, Seas. 10 had 4 (granted 1 was the winner), Seas. 9 had 2-4 (depending on how you count Martial Arts Fusion and Bellydancing), Seas. 8 had 4. So requiring 10 makes it a *ton* tougher to make the top 20 if you're anything in the stage categories; not that I'm opposed, I've generally been unimpressed with the first couple contemporary / jazz / ballroom dancers cut.

14. Dancing Irishman

I'm not sure, but reading Nigel's full interview, I think they'll still have to do choreography, it'll just be "Street" choreo only in Vegas until they get to the top 10.

and

15. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

I can't tell the difference between their street and stage dancing. Everything so far has a heavy hip hop content. Athleticism and beauty for both genders is very important so of course most of the contestants are very young 27 years is about the maximum.

The dancing is entertaining but there seems little chance they will give room for ballroom or any other couples dance.

IndyLady likes this.
  16. Steve Pastor

Why was everyone hating on Paula Abdul (before the show started)? Her comments so far seem pretty competent to me.

17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Jaja vankova for the win

18. IndyLady

I missed or half-watched a lot of the show due to storm and toddler bedtime, but I was disappointed with some of the earlier street routines, which looked like contemporary with some street moves mixed in. Perhaps that's what Jason DeRulo was referring to when he said it was mushing together and needed clearer and sharper transitions. Jason's performance was the first one that actually struck a chord with me as street dance.

Conversely, I was left cold by the Broadway routine that was performed by the entire stage dance team, minus a couple neat spots. A lot of this choreography looks like an 8-year old randomly dancing around in her bedroom - I'm not seeing much content that really amazes or moves me. And then the street team killed it with that military routine in response.

Here's hoping things get better...

19. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

It's a personal taste thing - the choreographer for that Team Stage Broadway piece is the guy who directed the Rockettes Spring Spectacular this year, and I loved that show!

20. IndyLady

This touches on something I've been pondering for a while... I wonder if some of my distaste for the contemporary/broadway group routines* is that they are not as clean and together as they could be due to the limited time available to learn and practice. I don't doubt that a professional stage show that has been rehearsed and performed countless times is amazing. Not an example to emulate, but if you ever watch videos of the North Korean dance performances that they rehearse for their grand annual festival that their ruler may or may not attend, the synchronization is absolutely incredible and beautiful. I often wonder if/how that same quality could be achieved in an environment without a cruel and despotic leader. And it is an important component in enjoying the dance.

*This also applies to many DWTS troupe routines.