SYTCD stage-vs.-street

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

When I was a young whippersnapper, we would always go to the Allegheny County Fair at the end of summer. There would always be marching band performance. No supreme leader needed.

Then there was River Dance. And somehow, that show just didn't engage me. I think there was too much group precision and not enough individuality for me; except for Flatley - "Lord of the Dance." And somehow, he did not strike a chord with me, either.

2. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Judging by the lack of activity in this thread, it would appear that not many of us are (still) watching this season... and if you are, the Asaf/Marissa cha cha might make you question that decision. I'm seriously thinking that might go down as the worst routine ever on this show. I've seen Showcases from relatively new dancers that were danced better than that (specifically the lead). Oof.

3. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I just watched it. My reaction: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

It was horrible and that's what will happen since ballroom has been de emphasized

5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I cannot wait to YouTube this train wreck!

6. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Oh, my God...

It wasn't even just that the guy danced badly (though he did) or that the girl was trying so hard to make it enjoyable (though she did)...but EVERYTHING about that routine was painful. The partnership, the choreography, even the music...just...ACK. I just felt bad for them.

IndyLady likes this.
  7. Dancing Irishman

I forgot to circle back, but yes. Anything that was supposed to be sensual just looked...uncomfortable. They clearly need to learn the skill of "selling ice to an Eskimo" that all ballroom competitors eventually learn. I wonder if the lack of ballroom acquaintances to help them out hurt the performers (and how often the contestants helped each other with stuff period).

8. Steve Pastor

I am still faithfully watching every Monday, true to my broadcast TV roots.
    I took a look elsewhere, and reaction to this season has been overwhelmingly negative. And it's not just the people who are complaining, because ratings are down... way down.
    I get the feeling Nigel is holding onto Asaf because of some perceived star quality, because there is certainly a list of usually fatal behaviors that he's exhibited.

IndyLady likes this.
  9. Dancing Irishman

The us-vs-them approach (stage vs street) certainly doesn't help my appreciation for the show!

IndyLady and theAnnelis like this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

It could be the end!!!

11. Dancing Irishman

A year or two ago, I'd be a lot sadder about that. Now, I'm just feeling meh (the whole zero ballroom dancers thing also peeved me - admittedly, they weren't getting anywhere close to the cream of the crop, but still...).

IndyLady likes this.
  12. Steve Pastor

Well, I felt like they upped their game last night.

13. Mr 4 styles

I'll watch tonite. But it's over. Jaja will be team streets last standing she may win it all

theAnnelis likes this.
  14. IndyLady

The "move me"/inspiration factor of the choreography and the deep quality of movement has definitely taken a dive. I initially just thought it was just me being jaded and overexposed, but then when I watched the 10th anniversary show last week and the "bench" routine came on, I was caught off-guard by how much the routine affected me. And I didn't even remember being that fond of it when it was performed however many seasons ago.

OK, how is it that with 21st century technology, Cat Deeley's hair still has all these flyaways?!?!? I so miss the 80's, when hair was big but still all in place.

15. Mr 4 styles

Jaja and Hayley rest are cannon fodder

16. Steve Pastor

Don't know how I ended up here, but...
    Since we don't have much to say about this season...

Remember when...

17. Mr 4 styles

If you crump stand up... by edIT blasting in my ear as I type about the brilliance diversity and straight up poppin buckness that is ........

JAJA VANKOVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOOOPPPEEEEEEE

18. I feel like many of you. This season leaves me "unmoved". This used to be my favorite show but this season is really meeehhh. I loved the couple approach where you could see the couples grow every week. There were always routines that moved me but this season nothing has moved me so far. It feels like it is all hip-hop and contemporary. I miss the ballroom dancing and the moving routines. Think of the geisha and the hummingbird, or the Chelsea and Mark briefcase routine, the Anya and Danny samba, and many others.

I did not even have a favorite this season. I thought that Jim should win but he was voted off.

19. Mr 4 styles

Jaja or Gabby either is fine with me. Was super bummed at the Jaja and Cyrus routine. Not buck enough at all

IndyLady likes this.
  20. IndyLady

Jaja is my pick, but yeah that routine was awful.

Mr 4 styles likes this.