Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > SYTCD stage-vs.-street

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

And I was wondering if I was the only one still watching.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Jaja winning would make me happy she has shown great diversity

theAnnelis likes this.
  3. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I am SO here for Jaja winning. There's nothing she can't do.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I am so glad that Gaby won! I really liked Haylee a lot, too.

I was not as entertained this season. Too much street. I did not like the whole premise!

Jim the ballet dancer was wonderful. Last night they showed a ballet routine with Jim and Alex which was cut!!! It was one of the best numbers of the night.

5. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I concur in that I was also not as entertained this season, but I think the problem was that the stage dancing was almost exclusively contemporary (or "jazz", which seems to just be a more emphatic version of contemporary). And even the hip hop kept falling into the contemporary ditch.

Also, there are various genres of street dance - they really missed the boat on showcasing all the different styles (krump, old school, all the regional styles they talk about during the audition). A lot of the hip hop mushed together too.

6. Mr 4 styles

Might not get renewed

7. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm surprised. I can't tell if the stage vs. street premise was a last gasp for air or just an "it sounded good at the time" idea that turned out to be the brand's death knell.

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I just looked at the ratings for the final show, and the audience was 1/6 that of DWTS's first show, and was ranked 4th of the 5 networks listed. I believe American Ninja Warrior was beating the show all summer.
    So, yeah, I'll be surprised if we see another year.

9. Mr 4 styles

Isaac caldero did it on ninja. It was epic. Much more exciting than sytycd sorry. But the tour should be good. That might help

10. EncoreMan

EncoreMan New Member

I love the show... Hope it gets renewed.