Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > SYTYCD season 14... and...World of Dance

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

No one noticed World of Dance?
    I watched for 5 minutes and found it to be a bit too over the top for my taste.

And, I saw in the dance magazine I get that SYTYCD is back again. It premiers on June 23.
    No kiddies this year.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Will watch once I return from vacation. I'm sure it was fun

3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on SYTYCD.

I DVR'd and watched the first episode of World of Dance. Actually, DH was thoughtful enough to notice it in the guide and set the DVR for me :inlove:. I agree with the "over the top" assessment. There was some good dancing (the 10-yr old couple that did a Latin medley) and most of the routines were enjoyable, but I wasn't wowed. The extensive packages and feedback are slightly annoying. Even the hip hop groups weren't as impressive as what I'd come to expect thanks to ABDC. Will probably continue to watch though.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

If you werent blown away by les twins ,you have been living on a different hip hop planet ...
    Kinja took it easy. Wait till next round. Btw they look like they trained the finger tutting with finger circus crew. Look it up it's cool

Yeah I like urban dance

5. Mr 4 styles

Agree way too much chit chat and packages. That should decrease as the rounds go on imo

6. IndyLady

Yeah, les twins were entertaining. I'm not as into that type of hip hop. I was thinking of the larger groups when I made that comment. IIRC, JLo said something to the effect of "I didn't want to look away because I was afraid I would miss something" on Kinja.... I felt the same way but mostly because I was waiting for something to happen for most of the routine. Though there were a couple neat moments and the finger tutting was cool.

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

At least on World of Dance, it looks like partner dancers are going to get more respect than they did in the last two seasons of SYTYCD.

Mr 4 styles and IndyLady like this.
  8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that one. I was able to tolerate about 5 minutes of it - almost gave me a headache with flying cameras and lightshow backdrops.

9. IndyLady

I liked the second episode better than the first (WOD).

Loved loved loved the youth hip hop group that opened the show - that is what I want to do when I grow up.

I'm not as enthralled with Fik-shun as many others are, but his routine had a couple really powerful moments - the shirt grab, and when he went up on his toes during the "I'm a bit unsteady" lyric - I appreciated the attention to the music.

I also really liked the Norwegian guys that hip hopped to "Jolene" - again, they had some excellent moments that reflected points in the music.

I was much more "meh" on the "lift clinic" couple and the contemporary guy, but that may be just a reflection of my dance preferences. Surprisingly I agreed with the judges on the Latin jazz ensemble (liked it but they definitely need to up it to the next level).

10. dncergrl2

dncergrl2 Member

These dance routines seem to be more and more closer to rhythmic gymnastics and cheerleading. OK we get that you are over-stretched and can do a cartwheel without hands. Now can we please see some actual dance?

IndyLady likes this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

OMMMMMMMGGGG Super Cr3w is unfrigginbelievable and Les Twins murdered best battles in a long time at any urban dance comp LOVEEEEDDDD IITTTTTT

12. Mr 4 styles

Aerial btw....a cartwheel without hands that is

13. IndyLady

Vanessa Hudgens is adding no value as a judge for me.... "OMG, that was so GOOD! You're amazing!" Lather, rinse, repeat. With Nygel and Mary, at least they often articulate the qualities that I can't quite put my finger on and give constructive criticism.

Oh and on WOD.... there is no way that Keone and Mari should have won over Quick Style. Sorry, but all the storytelling in the world does not make up for how simplistic that routine was. This is supposed to be the ultimate DANCE competition, for crying out loud.

14. Mr 4 styles

yeah i agree quick style was dope