Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > SYTYCD

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Uh oh. Now I'm scared to find out from hulu this weekend.

Who was the guest judge this week? Can we all agree they should just always be people like Misty Copeland who have a dance career worth noting? (Or an improv career, then at least they can be funny if they're devoid of content)

2. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I like Christina Applegate as a judge.

This last episode was terrifically boring.

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Agree 100% -- had no idea what to expect the first time I saw her judge, but she is excellent.

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

:D:cool: <bark>

5. kckc

kckc Active Member

I'm puzzled yet again as to why Valerie is still there and Tanisha is not. Her Broadway performance looked like a recital. Of course, dancing next to Ricky could make anyone look that way, but still...

And the Foxtrot...kids, I don't know if it was explained to you or not, but there is a technical reason why you have to look away from each other, it isn't aesthetic, and it showed in the performance when your heads kept ending up on the same side of each other, not that the judges managed to mention that in their critiques (they didn't like the dance for other reasons). Of course, with all of the angst-y contemporary crap going on these days, it is no wonder when people are confused about more formal dancing posture where you can't (gasp) gaze longingly into someone's eyes.

Can you tell I didn't sleep well? LOL

leee likes this.
  6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I think Tanisha could have made that bizarre furry-boot Japanese dance club crazy neon cyberlox hair "thing" work. Jessica did not. Tanish should not have been eliminated. Yeah, I know it's a popularity/favorites thing, and at least Ricky is still there. Daaaang, he's mindblowing. And likeable.

It does kinda make me feel better to see these otherwise phenomenal dancers FAIL at Ballroom and Latin. So there! :p

dancelvr likes this.
  7. kckc

kckc Active Member

Amen sister. Not as easy as it looks, is it, non-ballroom people!

dancelvr likes this.
  8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Tanisha is good, no question there. But...
    I was very impressed by Valarie last night in both the the hip hop number with tWitch, and in her Broadway number. What I saw was a sharpness in hitting the "poses." She was totally on the music. I was thinking, "man, are you THAT on?" Her training in tap might have something to do with that, since tap is about rhythm and timing.
    And I really think she was better here than Tanisha was in Sing Sing Sing.
    I think Valarie has the girl next door disarming thing going for her. But, she was hitting pretty hard in most of the hip hop.

Dancing Irishman and leee like this.
  9. leee

leee Well-Known Member

... there was enough closed hold for that to happen? You've got sharp eyes!

nikkitta likes this.
  10. kckc

kckc Active Member

LOL, didn't you hear Nigel refer to "American style Foxtrot, more theatrical, blah blah blah" At least the music matched the dance this time. I'll take what I can get, ballroom-wise.

11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I watched the clips on the official YT channel, which doesn't include the judges' comments (or, thankfully, the choreographers' "insights"). I have to say, seeing only the dances saves on a lot of aggravation and eyerolls, not to mention time. I was finished with the episode in less than 30 minutes!

12. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I've become so uninvested in this show that I'm a week behind... I just finished watching last week's show yesterday evening. Haven't even touched Wednesday's yet.

The Twitch/Jessica "hip hop":
    * I honestly found the premise (and some of the choreo) a little creepy, young girl fending off creepy old man. Not exactly a storyline I can get on board with.
    * However, my 1-year old apparently really liked that song because while we were watching the routine, he stood up and started bouncing to the music. I even re-wound the routine and he repeated his bouncing dance. One of those hilarious but endearing parent moments.

13. Steve Pastor

I've seen other people (women) make a similar observation. I wonder if you, and they, noticed how many times she flirted with him?

14. IndyLady

Yes, and I didn't care for that either. It just makes it easier to put the fault on the woman for sending mixed messages... hey, she was leading him on. I'm disappointed that Tabatha, as a woman herself, participated in and celebrated the portrayal of this dynamic.

This routine reminded me of something eerily similar that I half-observed this past week. I was sitting outside Baskin Robbins eating my ice cream, and several feet away in front of the adjacent business was an attractive young woman (late teens/early 20's) sitting on a bench, in short shorts sandals off, minding her own business, texting or something on her phone. At one point, two men, clearly father and son, walked past me; the son was middle aged, the father was clearly quite elderly and bent over and using a walker. I did not actually see what happened (I was also on my phone) but suddenly heard the son saying something apologetically like "he was just playing" (I don't remember his exact words but it was something like that), and the young woman did not look at all happy though she did not say anything. The two men were also much closer in proximity to her than they had been to me when they passed by me. I am surmising that the older gentleman felt entitled to reach out and touch this young woman as they walked past her. Not cool.

dancelvr and leee like this.
  15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

That's what a DVR is for. ;)

(I NEVER watch the whole show. Just the dance numbers.)

16. Steve Pastor

I enjoy some of the feature / background stuff, as well as the rehearsal footage. I even enjoy some of the "judging" comments. And, sometimes I think more importantly, I see this show as a glimpse into the lives of people who will be professional dancers. It's a look into those early years and is somewhat representative of the people we see in performances on stage and in videos.
    I have subscriptions to two dance magazines, and this show gives me the opportunity to learn about dance and dancers (choreographers as well) in that "hot" medium of television (if anyone remember Marshall McLuhan's observations).
    I will really miss the show if it is not renewed again.

And, it's a perfect excuse to spend the evening at home.

17. IndyLady

So I've been compiling in my head a list of things I've wondered about, which may seem ignorant but here goes.

1. Who choreographs the solos? The dancer, their teachers back home, or SYTYCD choreographers? Combo thereof?

2. Are all the solos already choreographed/music/costumed before the Top 20 even arrive, or do they create new content as the show progresses? Nigel said something to one of the contestants about "we already know you can do pirouettes, you need to show us something else", which leads me to believe she would have to re-work any future solos if they had already been created.

3. Shoes... do they acquire those as they progress through the show (I'm thinking ballroom, and how many times I've heard the judges say "we know you've never danced in heels before..."), or did they have to show up with their own pair of ballroom shoes just in case?

I don't know anyone in the dance world so I've been curious about how this works, especially in a society that seems to be moving more toward "independent contractor" type arrangements where you have to provide your own equipment.

18. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I've heard some dancers claim to ad-lib their solos; Lacey in particular blanked on one of hers and winged it. Don't think it's such a good idea though! Personally I think most if not all of the Top 20 have enough experience to be able to put together a solo without outside help.

19. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Solos are a mixed bag: some of them are self-choreographed (e.g. a lot of the hip hoppers), some of may have been choreographed by someone else (more apparent during the auditions -- I remember a YT of one auditioner performing the same routine in her audition, with the credit: choregraphed by Travis Wall), some of them are making it up as they go along, as nikkitta mentions.

However, I think that the reliance on 18- and 19-year-olds means that they ~don't~ have the experience to self-choreograph (and some fabulous dancers just aren't choreographers of any kind).

As for shoes, dollars to donuts, they're supplied along with the costumes. I wonder what happens during VEAGS callbacks, though -- that's 100+ dancers to start with (and from varying backgrounds).

20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I also suspect that even though the dancers have their primary styles...I.e. Contemporary, tap, ballroom etc, etc, ....they probably cross train in preparation for the variety of styles they will have to do on the show.