Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > SYTYCD

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Jun 18, 2014.

1. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

they'd be reeeeally foolish not to!

IndyLady likes this.
  2. kckc

kckc Active Member

Last season, my pro helped a contestant from this area who had a week or so between rounds (she made the first few cuts). She was contemporary I believe, and he helped her with Latin and how to partner dance in general, which she was unfamiliar with. I don't know how far most contestants go with that or if they have the time. She only had time for a couple of sessions with him.

leee likes this.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize their audition process had space like that in it! I thought it was one round after another all the way through....shows how much I pick up on.

I think I might be the dissenting opinion on Tanisha...I really liked her dancing relative to the other ballroom dancers (although she very clearly is a contemporary / jazz girl who also does ballroom...or she just comes from a veryyyyy different school of thought than I do), but I really was unimpressed with her relative to the other top 4 girls. I likewise was wowed by Zack in terms of his dancing out of genre, the amount of swagger he's picked up throughout the season, and his phenomenal tap solo/artistic choices in it (by contrast, while I could clearly appreciate Ricky's tremendous talent and athleticism, I *hated* his choreographic choices for his solo).

And on the ballroom / latin routines... I find it much easier to appreciate them if you go in with the mindset of "jazz as inspired by <<ballroom dance here>>" (change jazz to contemporary for Waltz/VWaltz). None of the non-ballroom folks are going to have the spinal fluidity to make it really look "ballroomy" (and even the ballroom ones will find it difficult dancing with a "stiff" backed partner), so it's better when you don't expect something that's clearly out of the question.

Oh, and I totally am with people who are encouraged by the thought that even a talented contermporary dancer like Ricky doesn't look that stellar when dancing Latin..

Also, my pro and I actually were talking about why better ballroom dancers don't audition for this show (we got on a random tangent while discussing upcoming competition plans). His take was that the serious competitors (like himself) aren't willing to take a break from competing to audition for the show, since even winning might still ultimately give them less satisfaction than achieving their competitive goals. There's also the other theory that ballroom as a genre really does very little to encourage quick learning of choreo....the top competitors hone their routines for spans of months or years while competing with them, so they have very few audition-like situations.

4. kckc

kckc Active Member

The audition process was still at the beginning, where the regional contests were still going on, and maybe 2 weeks after that...it wasn't at the point yet were they had the top 20 in LA or Vegas or wherever they are, so there was still a bit of time between rounds.

You are just wrong about Tanisha :)

I'll be the dissenter here about Ricky- I thought he did well with his chacha. Though again, it could be relative to the other dancers who have totally blown their ballroom round.

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Or financial constraints!

Mary Murphy did a Q&A recently, and gives some broad outlines of contestants' weekly schedule: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2eo43j/i_am_mary_murphy_dancer_choreographer_and_judge/

6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone seen a collection of the dance steps they've been showing in the short segments they throw into the show once a night (so it seems)?
    I just got done telling someone they should watch the show tonight so they can pick up at least one good move.

7. leee

leee Well-Known Member

If they're in the US, I think there's more than a bunch on the official site: Fox.com deleted this page

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2017
  8. Steve Pastor

9. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Yay, Ricky!!

10. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I managed to predict the placements of the final four. Yay me.

I really wish that the finale show featured more of the dancers who DIDN'T make it to the end. I lost count of how many of the "favorite" routines included the final four dancers. Show the others again please! There were some stellar performances that deserved to be shown again aside from Ricky/Valerie/Jessica/Zack, y'know? And notice no Ballroom encores. They were mostly underwhelming, so not surprising.

11. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Ratings on SYTYCD have continued to sink. It's not known at this point if Fox will renew the series. I think the decline of this show is directly related to the proclivity of "same sex" dancing. The majority of the American public just doesn't consider that stuff entertaining. I highly doubt the creepy choreos or the increased use of contemporary are the main causes of the decline because all the public cares about is watching good dancing.

12. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I have to respectfully disagree. I think their ratings are sinking because (a) the contemporary/jazz/etc is starting to mush together and none of it is interesting, (b) the contestants themselves are less and less compelling each season, and (c) the judging is starting to become a joke like DWTS, Nigel and Mary are constantly praising routines that leave me flat. I'm sure the dancers are technically better and more gifted every year, but I increasingly find myself bored and yawning at the choreography, and nothing is grabbing my attention.

SYTYCD has always had routines where two or more people of the same sex performed them, and a number of them were pretty memorable and well-danced (a lot of men's hip hop routines tend to be really good).

dancelvr likes this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

totally agree 100 percent

you tube twitch and glitch

14. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Good points. The judging is so boring and meaningless it drags the entire show down. The judges do nothing more than swoon for every dancer. How many times do we have to listen to one of the judges say, "That is the best dance I have seen on this show!"

DWTS is almost as much of a charade because at least they have a pretense of a points system - and sometimes they actually offer a meek criticism.

IndyLady likes this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

THE MOST EPIC MALE ONLY ROUTINE ON THE SHOW EVER!!!!

16. Steve Pastor

See, THAT'S what's wrong with the show. No Animators, krumpers, etc made it through this time.

Actually, I've been pretty happy with most of what I saw this season.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Ladies can hold it down too:

Other notable routines with two guys:

Season 7:

Season 10:

Literally every season has had same-sex routines.

18. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I also like the same-sex routines because they're less likely to be the overdone cliched couple-experiencing-romantic-angst stories. More diversity in theme and tone.

leee likes this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

jasmine and comfort were da BOOOMMMBBBB

20. Steve Pastor