Tango Argentino > Tango Metronome?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Someday, Feb 9, 2014.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Thanks for answering: It´s a mistake, it should be not important. Think now it will make sense with the rest of my posting...

I did it the other way round. Since I got problems with an osteo arthritis, I started learning bando. So I could stay a member of my community.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Tango Distance likes this.
  2. Deep South Nicky

Deep South Nicky New Member

Oh ok,

Ah yes thanks, it makes sense now. Sorry to hear about the arthritis. I imagine that to be very difficult for a dancer. Learning the bando is certainly another way to experience the music and it has entirely different sound and feeling in your lap as opposed to just listening to one.

opendoor likes this.
  3. Oliver

Oliver Member

Do you really mean for beginning dancers to dance to the notes of the melody of a song, before dancing to a basic tango rhythm? Even a basic melody is going to have a variety of rhythmic phrasings that are going to make this a much more complicated task.

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Jep
    Of course, it has. But think of all those "find the beat" problems the prevailling methods provide (adjusting a more or less complex sequence to a defined segment of music.) That´s even more complicated because it implies the student got a notion of the musical structures (bars, phrase). The alternative is, simply to let a student float with the music. Let them pick out what they actually hear and dance their tiny vocabulary to it. There is no need to map that variety of rhythmic phrasings in a predefined manner.

5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

IMO, some beginning dancers can't even find the beat, much less anything else. I think it's important for the beginners to be able to hear/feel the beat early on, to help synchronize the couple.

Also, for leaders in the beginning, there are so many things for them to be concerned with, that mental overload can be a problem. I try to teach elements in layers, and then add on additional concepts as they progress. To me, dancing to the melody, comes later on, after they understand some of the rhythmic possibilities within the beat.

Just my two cents, though.

6. Oliver

Oliver Member

Ok, so you mean dancing to the rhythm in a way that also respects the cadences, crescendos, ritardandos of the melody.

In which case, yes, I agree that this slight modification is important to introduce very early on.