Tango Argentino > Tango Priorities…#1: Embellishments..! ;)

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Chrisa Assis, Mar 31, 2017.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Agreed !

2. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Heaven forbid

3. dchester and everyone else,

I do not think the issue is her being a new member, the content or anything else along those lines. In my view the people reacted this way because of the structure of her posting.

I am a moderator in another forum (emaildiscussions.com). Over there people like Chrisa Assis would post a short summary (or a short quote) following a link to her original blog post.
    The reason is that a forum is a discussion stage and not a blog space. People want to discuss the contents rather than having to read her the blog that was published on her site. Re-posting doesn't bring any new arguments to discuss, it simply duplicates what has already been said elsewhere.

Personally, I think Chrisa Assis is a fine member of the Tango community and this forum and has some valid points in her understanding of Tango. I would rather read her original blog first and come back here to discuss it.

opendoor and Lilly_of_the_valley like this.
  4. Oliver

Oliver Member

Not everyone reacted this way, so surely the people reacting are a key variable in this equation, no?

Show me in the forum guidelines where it says not to post something you already wrote elsewhere? (It's not there. I looked). On the other hand, you won't have to go past 1 and 2 to find "friendly participation encouraged" and "friendly supportive environment".

Do you honestly believe that destructive criticism ("bad form" "takes some gall" "dictatorial" "targeting gullible pupils" etc) is in the spirit of the forum guidelines? Or that it's the OP's fault for receiving replies like that?

raindance likes this.
  5. I didn't say she violated the forum rules, I said I believe she may have missed on members expectations of what and how should be posted in a discussion forum.

I truly believe that destructive criticism does not belong here, and I was not addressing it in my posting above.

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  6. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

Is this constructive?

I mean, I threw in my 1.7 cents (adjusted for inflation - im old and my opinions are cheaper) in this thread, too, mainly because i really enjoyed the op in its original context of the blog, and felt that it lost something by loosing that context. I don't think this is really about posting something that has been written elsewhere, but that a blog post is in a different genre than a debate.

7. Oliver

Oliver Member

Probably not. I though Reuven was saying that the rude response was the OP's fault, and my indignation came out.

8. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

The majority did seem to react against the original post,
    I was by no means the first.

In fact your first post commented on the strength of that
    opposition. But like Chrisa you have never addressed the
    content of the comments but only criticised the fact that
    people are opposed to the nature of the original post which
    in fact you are persisting with even now. It's a classic on-line
    forum behaviour, someone who doesn't like or cannot the
    answer the criticism mires the topic in criticisms of their
    own about the language or tone of the critics.

Now you have taken my original words out their context.
    Your on-going valiant support of Chrisa in this manner makes
    me wonder if you might have an affiliation with Chrisa?

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  9. Oliver

Oliver Member

Nope.

10. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Any chance we all could drop this? I don't see how it helps the forum be a friendly, welcoming place to talk about tango, or dancing, or anything else.

Larinda McRaven, dchester and sixela like this.
  11. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Gladly, note that I stayed out of it after my two early posts.
    Enough had been said a long time ago.

12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

except that we DO have a forum called dance articles where blogs and one-way article postings are meant to go. And in that respect posting her blog on DF is not really a sin, in fact actually encouraged. However, I think keeping all of the AT posts in one place is best, since a lot of AT posters here don't really spread out across the rest of DF.

In the end if someone isn't up for reading a "blog" it is easy enough to skip along to the next thread.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    opendoor, dchester and raindance like this.
  13. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg New Member

Informative video. Thank you for posting.