Ballroom Dance > Tangoette Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Prometheus, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Prometheus

Prometheus New Member

Hi there all(who are reading)
    Any suggestions for music which i can dance the tangoette to...its an Aus Dance accreditted dance and was wondering music to dance to?

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No clue as I'm over here in the USA and have only heard of it a time or two before, but I did want to welcome you to the DF! :D

Hopefully someone who can point you in the right direction will check in soon...

3. Prometheus

Prometheus New Member

thanks alot for the welcome!!!
    and i hope so too, soon :D lol

4. mummsie

mummsie Member

Hi and Welcome. Any tango music that is phrased. Most of the ballroom tangoes that you hear are ok. Hernandos Hideaway is the one my dancing teacher uses to teach Tangoette for beginners as its got a good beat and most versions are phrased. Gayle from Brisbane :)

5. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

What is tangoette like? I've never run across it here in the US.

6. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Aha! I get it. So, close to tango music that is phrased, with distinct percussion, like American tango (Ballroom). As opposed to the more traditional Argentine Tango that is more dynamic and pauses and hesites by design.

In this case, I would suggest that you can do music search (iTunes, Nappster, etc.) on "Tango," but look for the arrangements of Steven Warbeck, Mantovani, Tango Project

They are remakes of old Tango tunes but they have either a distinct ballroom beat, or heavy/discernable percussion.

7. mummsie

mummsie Member

Hi Waltzgirl, In Australia and New Zealand we have our own style of dance called New Vogue. Its very popular here both socially and competitivly. I dance New Vogue competitions. They are phrased dances. Every couple does the same steps at the same time in a big circle. There are 3 competition tango dances - the Tangoette, La Bomba and the Tango Terrific. There are probably about 1000 different tango new vogue/sequence dances done socially all over the country.
    There are many different interpretations of the dances so if you get say dancers from different states doing the same dance there will be subtle differences although the basic dance will always be the same. New Vogue music is specially constructed as a rule with a 4 bar intro so everybody knows when to start the dance. Its lovely to watch and can be very artistic in the higher levels of competition. I believe its started to take off in some European countries and China is also starting to do it.
    Its good in social situations as it means you can dance with anybody who knows the dances and if you don't know a dance you hop in behind somebody who does and you can follow and learn quite easily. Gayle

8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Thanks! We have sequence dancing here, so I think I get it. I have enough trouble remembering a few competition routines. It would hurt my brain to try to learn 1000 tangoes (or even a fraction of them)! Wow!

9. mummsie

mummsie Member

Hi Waltzgirl, Nobody would know that many. I would know maybe 6 or 7 (but not well as I only do them once every few years) including some English Old Time sequence tangoes. Most people only know the main few. Gayle

10. Prometheus

Prometheus New Member

thanks alot!!!
    take care :)

11. Prometheus

Prometheus New Member

thanks alot ampster!